Snakeheads and rays

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Probably a silly question as I have never seen it done but can you comm the usual rays, aros etc with a snakehead?
I have seen some plat snakeheads juveniles that rather take my fancy.
Cheers

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
D -DC- and Madou Madou can help with that.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Apart from the usual myth and legends that are still hit and miss about Pleuros and Maruloides being put in comms with big enough fishes, I cannot think of any channa species that can live in a comm once maturity hits.

Given the tank mates you want, only very few fit the requirements (most being sub-tropical), and apart from the two I cited above, you're down to a list of cold-blooded killers (Micropeltes, etc).

If the plat you saw are the ones that hit my wholesaler about a month ago, then they're Argus. If I remember correctly, that is the species that got the ban installed in the US and Canada, because it is one of the few that can outlive the colder waters up north, being native from Russia. Needless to say, they changed the ecosystem of the lakes and rivers to a point of no return for a reason. They are awful. If your Arowanas don't eat them when juvie, they'll return the favor once they hit 30'+.

As for the two only possible choices in my opinion, they're still hit and miss, mostly miss. Once mature, you are going for a gamble on whether it'll kill everything, and I am not sure I would gamble with Aros and Rays.

In truth, I have not heard of anyone trying it with Rays, so it could work, but I don't see why it would be any different than other fishes, I know my aurantis didn't like my hystrix even for the short time they were in the comm before being moved.

Reactions: aquaman45

mun1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Singapore
Aros and rays are very common from where I am at and I have seen some snakeheads with rays. But I have to say, most of the success stories are what was said by Madou. all the snakeheads living happily with other fish were not fully grown.
I will only risk the mix with the smaller dwarf species of snakeheads. But then, I do not think they share the same water chemistry anyway.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
+1- don't mix Channa , especially not platinum argus , they get very large are highly aggressive and are not tropical .

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Hi just saw this post and decided to chime in.. Here in china, I see snakeheads commonly comm'd without issues actually. I have fairly decent experience with them as well having comm'd a pleuro twice successfully except the last time was KOd by an aimara. Given enough tank space I think they are fine especially if there are multiple tankmates that are active and big bodied. I have 3 channa micropeltes that are comm'd with 3 alligator gars in my pond right now. From my friends collections, I've seen 60cm diplogrammas comm'd with Asian arowanas, datnoids, Rays, peacock bass, WC oscars, tarpon and more. Pleuro is also commonly comm'd successfully here in Asia. I've also seen a few adult micropeltes comm'd with araipaima and RTC etc. Just make sure there is a lot of swimming space,very large tankmates and also being well fed.

Reactions: jim barry
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store