Snowy's gar questions

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
snowy;4048365; said:
I have said it before and I will say it again, the search tool almost always turns up threads that are irrelevant to my question:irked:

i have to agree with that. dont worry about ppl gettin mad at ya. they all had to learn at one time too. we all go about learning differently and if you wanna post a new thread constantly, well go ahead and do it lol

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
zack, did i have my kid yet? answer is in my sig.... follow the links and ull find ur answer.

snowy, we understand. I just started this thread for u to condince the questions. Its all good!! post all ur questions here!

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4048619; said:
snowy, we understand. I just started this thread for u to condince the questions. Its all good!! post all ur questions here!
No offence taken, I was just over reacting a little:)But seriously, I'm glad you did this. Like I said, you saved me some work;):D

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
Okay, first question: can gars be kept successfully with redfin prochilodus:confused: I've heard the prochilodus will pick at the gars slime coat. Is this true:confused:

RedDwarf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Where the Sun is Warm
It can be done but is not suggested because prochilodus love to suck the slime coat off of fish. You might get lucky and find one that doesn't do it but your better off not trying the mix.

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
Next question: how large of a piece of food can a gar swallow:confused: Basically what I am asking is should a gar be given food approx 1/5 the body size, 1/4 size, 1/3 size and so on. I'm mostly looking for info specifically on longnoses because of thier more specialized snouts, but info on the other species is also appreciated:). Also, how big does a gar have to be to eat 2 inch, 3 inch, and 6-7 inch pieces of food:confused:

Thanks!:)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
gars are gap limited. basicly they can only eat stuff as big as their throat allows them.

example a gar is

------------------

but his gap is only .

He can only eat food that is . round no bigger.

make since?

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4062617; said:
gars are gap limited. basicly they can only eat stuff as big as their throat allows them.

example a gar is

------------------

but his gap is only .

He can only eat food that is . round no bigger.

make since?
Okay thanks, but how big does a longnose have to be to eat a 6-7 inch smelt, a 3 inch piece of smelt, and a 2 inch piece of smelt:confused: I thought I would clear up just what kind of food i'm asking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store