Snowy's gar questions

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Frozen krill in large quantities can be excessively fatty, but it's still better than live food.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nothing wrong with live either. just cheaper and easyer to do prepared.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4080850; said:
nothing wrong with live either. just cheaper and easyer to do prepared.
There's just the normal worries that people associate with feeders - parasites, etc. If you're QT'ing your feeders or breeding your own than you're good.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Madding;4080761; said:
Frozen krill in large quantities can be excessively fatty, but it's still better than live food.
hate to disagree w/ you.. but that is completely untrue.. excessive amounts of fat in any animals diet leads to many forms of health issues down the road. irreversable and often times life threatening. Obessity being the most obviouse. fat around the heart, and other organs, improper growth rates, ect ect.. frozen bloodworms, frozen silversides, frozen smelt, ect ect. are all better alternatives imo then krill or infested live feeder goldfish. krill is a great treat imo. and I know alot of people feed their pets a heavy krill diet. Balance, feed as many different things and as many diverse things, properly maintained live, frozen, pellets..

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
^ I'm not sure how your post is in disagreement with mine or how you think what I said is untrue... your post pretty much agrees with what I was saying.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Madding;4082224; said:
^ I'm not sure how your post is in disagreement with mine or how you think what I said is untrue... your post pretty much agrees with what I was saying.
haha, i was thinking the same thing--
--SRD

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
MonsterMinis;4082188; said:
hate to disagree w/ you.. but that is completely untrue.. excessive amounts of fat in any animals diet leads to many forms of health issues down the road. irreversable and often times life threatening. Obessity being the most obviouse. fat around the heart, and other organs, improper growth rates, ect ect.. frozen bloodworms, frozen silversides, frozen smelt, ect ect. are all better alternatives imo then krill or infested live feeder goldfish. krill is a great treat imo. and I know alot of people feed their pets a heavy krill diet. Balance, feed as many different things and as many diverse things, properly maintained live, frozen, pellets..
Frozen bloodworms don't have enough nutrition especially feeding a grown gar. You will be feeding a lot to satisfy a gar and most of those bloodworms will just rot away.

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
snowy;4079333; said:
New question: what is the best species of black bass(LMB, SMB, redeye, spotted etc.) to keep with a gar, specificaly longnose? I have found several reports of black bass with gar in large tanks, so I know it can work, i'm just not sure what species is a better tankmate for a gar. If it matters, the tank would be between 400-800 gallons(not sure about exact size yet).
:help2::feedback:

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
:help2:

snowy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
behind you
snowy;4077391; said:
Next question: Is there any way to estimate the diameter of a longnose based on its length:confused: If the relative proportions varies based on size, What is the average diameter of a longnose that is 8-10 inches, 15-17 inches, 18-20, and maybe 24 inches:confused: If it depends on the individual(Which I guess it does), what are the average diameters for longnoses of the above mentioned lengths:confused:

Sorry if I was confusing and thanks!:)
:feedback::help2:

P.S. for the post directly above this one, I messed up but it wouldent let me delete it, so please ignore it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store