SO DISAPPOINTED!!!

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
yesterday evening i picked up a large uaru cichlid about 9 inches to be exact and he was fine when i got him home but when i came down this morning he was dead so I checked my water and everything was good so i don't know why he would have died he didn't get beat up from the drive home about 45min to be exact so if anyone can help me figure out what happened it would be great

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Perhaps he was very old and the move shocked him too much. Did you acclimate gradually and do gradual water mixing to control pH adjustment, too? We know something killed him. Most fish don't just die if they are otherwise healthy. Bowfins are dying at random because there's something about them we don't know yet, but that's another story.

Was the bucket potentially soapy?

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
did you check the water it came from or ask about the tanks water perameters, ph/kh/gh/temp?
also , as has been mentioned, did you acclimatise slowly?
was it wild caught and maybe your water isnt suitable for wild uaru (ph, gh, kh, temp)?
wild caught uaru are far more sensitive to water conditions than tank bred specimens.

jevan7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2010
Where the Wild Things are
ya that happened to me too im assuming the acclimation was too quick i had an lfs get me a temensis bass that apparently came from a pond he packaged it with water from one of the tanks and by the time i got home it was dead

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
he was in a styrophoam container u know like the shipping one and no the water put into it was good and we put some stress coat and some other stuff to help on the ride in there with him and i acclimated him gradually i put him in a sterile 5 gallon bucket and mixed some of my water in with the water from the tank he was in and then i slowly let him adjust a don't understand why he would have died the guy i got him from said the fish was only two years old and told me he bought it when it was the size of a quarter so it couldnt have been from old age

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Oh, wow. Sounds like you did everything anybody could do. *racks brain for answers*

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
clownie33;4106555; said:
he was in a styrophoam container u know like the shipping one and no the water put into it was good and we put some stress coat and some other stuff to help on the ride in there with him and i acclimated him gradually i put him in a sterile 5 gallon bucket and mixed some of my water in with the water from the tank he was in and then i slowly let him adjust a don't understand why he would have died the guy i got him from said the fish was only two years old and told me he bought it when it was the size of a quarter so it couldnt have been from old age
i hate when people just say that they tested the water and everything was good.i mean what does that mean? if ya want some real help you'll have to post the specifics of the water params, Uaru are a sensitive fish after all....and Post tank size, tankmates, etc....give out the info to get help

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
yeah i could post the readings but i mean now i'm kinda just like what happened has happend i took the necessary steps before i put him in the tank and he just up an died so idk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store