So I got my Mangrove Jack Snapper...

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
UPDATE:

well it took about a couple of weeks for my Jack to finally live up to the bad rep these guys have. Last night I'm half asleep and am awakened by what sounds to be the beginnings of World War 3 in my tank. The Jack went aggro on the trio of f. rostratus. The rostratus were darting everywhere to elude the Jack who was hot in pursuit. Two weeks of harmony and I thought I was in the clear..wishful thinking. No one was injured, just stressed. Peace was restored around 3am- after about 25 mins of trying to net the Jack out.

I was hesitant to even do this but I ended up moving the Jack into a 125g with some monsters pushing 3.5-4 times his size. All is well so far......HAHA...so far...

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
Another Update:
Almost a month after I got this guy and he seems to be 1.5" bigger! After a minor skirmish with some africans he was moved into a larger tank with some bigger tankmates. He is holding his own nicely. I have a 7" Hampala Barb that follows the Jack constantly and will take a nip at him every chance he gets. The Jack is quick to turn around and counter the attack, resulting in suprised Barb. Twice now I have seen scales fall off the Hampala after a Jack Attack. No worries the Hampala is 100% now and they both now know each others boundries. They even feed together. Here are some updated pics...

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
beautiful mangrove jack/red snapper. there was one LFS in our city that tried to sell off an adult red snapper as a "rare madagascar cichlid" for US$250. equivalent. good thing we warned everyone of the deception. (red snappers are not that expensive in our area 'cos they can be caught in the local waters.)

FloridaAngler88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
cape coral, fl
i love this thread it made me feel better about my snapper. i have a small lane snapper and he is living in full freshwater tank and growing and eating fine. love the pics to guys.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Jack attack,yeah I had one before it was the first fish I ever had with visible teeth so I had an idea what they were capable of from the rip.The stores here havent had them in a while but when they did some of them would falsely name them as red fin datnoids.I thought I read somewhere that as juvies they live in brackish and fresh and as they grow into adults they move into the ocean but we dont need to get into that here.If he wears out his welcome in the 125 I hope you would think of getting rid of the other fish before the snapper because they are soo hard to come by.Kudos to the member who posted pictures of his red phase snapper,very beautiful.

stanky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
Collinsville, Illinois
That's an awesome fish.....Hey, how do I post a picture? Looks like I need to upload the pic to a URL first?

Piscineidiot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
QLD Australia
Nice jack, but do be careful... Those things don't just bump and nip like most aquarium fish, they can take chunks out. I've never kept one with any other fish for fear of it simply decimating everyone in the tank.

Don't worry about keeping it in full fresh, they'll grow to their full size potential in freshwater impoundments here in Australia. The only thing is that they won't breed in it. Not really an issue for you.

They're highly intelligent fish with a hell of a personality, so do enjoy. Mine also used to be extremely dextrous when it came to using its teeth. When it came across a live fish too big to swallow in one shot, it'd grab it across the shoulders with its canines and then spin it around to swallow it after it stopped struggling. They also live quite a long time, so you should have a pet for quite a while, hopefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store