So I went collecting.....

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Got about a bazzilion ghost shrimp, one mosquitofish, and a bull minnow, all for food. Then a few small centrarchids that I've been wanting to grow out and see what the are, blackbanded I think. Then a surprise. I got a pirate perch. Anybody ever have any experience with these? I've heard of them, but don't know much about them. I know they stay fairly small, and they're pretty primitive, and nocturnal, but thats about it. I figured I'd start him out on frozen gammarus or something.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Well, i can provide live gammarus too. Looking at fishbase it seems that they are mostly insect and crustacean feeders, with the occasional small fish. Very cool looking fishy, though.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Mine eats chopped nightcrawlers (if still twitching) and live red wrigglers, isopods, and shrimp. He occasionally eats shrimp pellets, but usually ignores them. He's very laid back, usually just slowly drifting from hiding spot to hiding spot. He ignores the two topminnows in the tank, which he could probably eat if he really tried, as well as the larger tank inhabitants. There are lots of ramshorn snails in the tank, which I've never seen him eat, but I suppose he might pick off one now and again.

I wouldn't keep a pirate perch with anything even slightly aggressive, or even just aggressive feeders like most minnows.

Bridger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2010
Missouri
Nice find! I've only ever seen one in my ichthyology lab. They are very unique in that their anus is located very far forward of the anal fin under the throat. This feature made them very easy to identify even using a raggety old lab specimen.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Yeah, I was pretty excited. Never seen one before, but it was definately on the list. Now if I could just find the small grass pickeral I was looking for and a small longnose gar, I'd be just about set!

Bridger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2010
Missouri
kzimmerman;4898031; said:
Now if I could just find the small grass pickeral I was looking for and a small longnose gar, I'd be just about set!
It seems we have similar tastes in fish. I caught a chain pickerel on a float trip once. I've wanted an esox ever since. Eventually, I'll drop the cash to buy a grass pickerel. They're, unfortunately, kinda hard to find here.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
You might be able to find some redfins, they are much more common (at least around here) then the grass.
Well, he's eating. He's exploring his tank and seems to be settling in well. He ate a worm, BTW. I hope he's gonna work out well, he seems to be doing great so far. My son has already proclaimed him, "his". Doesn't really matter, almost all of my fish are his now, but he can't have my gator, and he can't have my pleco! Some things a man just won't give up.

R'OC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2007
Richmond
hey I'm in VA to, Any suggestions on good places to collect?

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I'm on the eastern shore, so were worlds apart in terms of collecting. However, you have some of the best places in easy driving distance from your home. If you go to the www.bowfinanglersgroup.com you can find places were bowfin have been caught in your area, and those places probably have a ton of other species about. What kind of species are you after?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store