so, Now my water is cloudy.. WHY? pls help

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
so next day, the water is even clouder then it ever been... if its a bacteria bloom.. what should i do? wait a week or so and see how it goes? or do WCs every other day? .. thanks!

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Quit screwing w everything. I didn't read your whole thread but it sounds like nitrogen cycle is starting or not finished. Just let your bio media alone. Keep an eye on your ammonia and be patient.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I just hate too see my fish in such cloudy water... I feel for them but I'll be patient and watch the ammo which is still zero

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
It's been 3 days now since you started this thread. Give it a week. Don't do anything other than test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. See if ammonia, or nitrates start to climb. If it's a bacterial bloom, it just takes time to play out. Water changes won't help. Just wait and test.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
will do :)

hopefully its just that, and clears up on its own, but ill be testing
Patience... it's the hardest thing about fishkeeping. I used to get anxious over this type of stuff but it will pass. Just make sure you have plenty of bio media to handle your load and keep up ok the water changes and rinsing the mechanical. Watch your ammonia nitrites and give it some time. I bet in a week your water is clear

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I hope so oldguy I really do, I feel bad that my little buddies have to swim in this cloud but as long as it's not harming them I can wait it out ... I am also keeping the lights off much longer then normal as I hear that may help as well (and testing)

Thx

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
So it's been over a week and the water is still cloudy .. I did 1 35% water change on Saturday to clean up the gravel/poop and that's it.. Been checking nitrates/nitrites and ammo.. As of today the numbers are

Nitrites -0
Nitrates - 10/15ppm
Ammo - inbetween 0-.25

Should I do another water change to try to lower the ammonia? How long does this "bloom " last... My tank isn't new, it's been running for 7 months.. This is really bugging me cause I don't want to any fish to die.. Thx for any help

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Most of the fish we keep come from murky ponds, lakes, streams and rivers. The clarity of the water is for our pleasure not their's. They could care less IMO. Patience is key as others have already said. Finesse the tank when working on it. Too much fiddling can cause more issues. After all of this you could try a simple UV filter and see if that helps.

I know this is driving you crazy. Trust me I have been there before. When I encountered this same issues years ago when I was less experienced I was doing more or less what you have already done and ended up with the same results you are getting, nowhere. These days when this happens, I just leave the tank as is besides normal maintenance and wait a week or two and the issue usually resolves its self. If not, I start taking action but doing so gently while leaving time to see if what I did actually helped or not.

Reactions: nossalucard
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store