so proud

jimk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
coatesville, pa
you should consider more tiger barbs than 2. If you don't have enough barbs for them to form a pecking order then they will be more agressive toward other fish. Tiger barbs may not be your best choice for a 10. The number needed to curb agression would pretty much fill your tank. Smaller tetras like neons, gold pristellas are good choices. Cory cats or otocinclus are good bottom feeders. Maybe a dwarf gourami and possibly some platies or swordtails for color. Your daughter might like one of the pygmy puffers. I don't know much about them so i am a little hesitant about recommending them but they seem like something a kid would like. Just be careful it doesn't get sucked up your filter.

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
ok guys, so she now has a 15 gal tall tank, well planted with 5 tiger barbs, 3 black neon tetras and a harlequin rasbora. i'm gonna get her a small shoal of corys and a couple dwarf neon rainbows, and call it done. she loves it, it is really busy. i had to get more tiger barbs, the 3 she had were beating the crap out of each other, they have settled down since i put in more. i would have fixed the 29 tall for her but i do not have the means to cut the glass. thanks for all the advice guys, she is a really happy girl now, she stares at her new tank for hours on end, i don't think i could have gotten her anything else that would have made her happier

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
my little girls 3 and 5 heave there own tank. its a ten gal, very busy and beautiful. i love watching her glow when shes looking at her tank she loves them more than anything in the whole world.

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
I say get her a bigger tank... After all.... a small tank is really hard to keep established than a bigger tank. IMO.

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
that is just too sweet, my little one is a BIG animal lover, she will talk to anything with fur and four legs,( i think i heard her talking to her fish too)
i love to hear that there are some of us here who are not only members but are also bringing up futere members, that's something to be proud of :clap

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
twk1 said:
I say get her a bigger tank... After all.... a small tank is really hard to keep established than a bigger tank. IMO.
it won't be too long before she asks for a bigger tank, but for now we will see how she does with the 15, her tank sits on her dresser and it is about the biggest tank it can hold. little steps to test her ability and responsibility, i would hate to see how she would feel if i get her a 55 and everything dies, however since this was a birthday present, if she keeps her tank well maintained and her fish alive, then for her next birthday she may get a HUGE tank

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
twk1 said:
don't get me wrong, i would LOVE to give her a 55 or bigger but we need to see whether or not she inherited the fish keeping gene first.

jayclarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Liverpool, UK
I wouldnt mix tiger barbs with a betta especially only 2, id go for 4 Honey gouramis or somethin in that range! Hope she enjoys wotever u decide good luck J

honey gourami (male)

Picture 159.jpg

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
jayclarke said:
I wouldnt mix tiger barbs with a betta especially only 2, id go for 4 Honey gouramis or somethin in that range! Hope she enjoys wotever u decide good luck J

honey gourami (male)
oh no you must have misunderstood, the betta has his own home in a bowl next to her tank. he will not be going into her tank. he has a very pretty bowl which she does not want to give up, it looks like a gallon sized wine glass.
so she will have a betta in a bowl AND a tank :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store