So what really IS the smallest Polypterid?

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
a bottomless pit.
I have been slowly preparing my little 40 gallon breeder over the past (checks calendar) five months, and over that time I have generally been planning to acquire a bichir, I haven't the permission nor capitol to secure a larger tank (as much as it pains me), so I have to make due with the rather petite layout of the 40g. Whilst doing my research however, I have run into a problem.
There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what actually is the smallest bichir species.
I have heard very conflicting reports on the matter, generally between a few contenders.
1. Polypterus Senegalus
2. Polypterus Polli
And last and quite possibly least (as of course this is the matter of discussion)
3. Polypterus Mokelembembe
Alongside those within the genus polypterus, there is of course Erepectoicthys Calabricus, which is seemingly the most variable in length of all extant cladistia.
Along with these, there is sometimes mention of P. Palmas and P. Retropinnius, so it only gets more confusing.

Also, how do ya'll pronounce Polypterus
I pronounce it like [pɒli'tɛrʌs], but I've heard it said [pɑlɪ'ptɛrəs]

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve routinely seen senegal as the smallest, the captive bred albinos only get 6-8 inches full grown.
I pronounce it “polly-terus” (the p is silent like in pterodactyl).

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Rayfishowner

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Smallest growing species technically is the Albino Senegal since genetically most do not surpass 6-7 inch. A lot of the captive breed upper jaw species like Senegals, polli, Palmas, delhezi also do not get that big maxing out around 8-12 inch.

Reactions: tlindsey

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I’ve routinely seen senegal as the smallest, the captive bred albinos only get 6-8 inches full grown.
I pronounce it “polly-terus” (the p is silent like in pterodactyl).
+1
I have a albino senegal bichir. Bought him at a size of 4 inches and now after one year, he is 6 inches.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Now, how about how to pronounce "Bichir?" hehe.

I've heard it sounding like biker, *****er but most commonly burr-churr
Technically it’s something like busheer, most often I just say beaker. I remember a thread on that a while back.

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Technically it’s something like busheer, most often I just say beaker. I remember a thread on that a while back.
The word bichir has been derived from the arabic word 'bashir" or "basheer" which means "the one who brings good news".

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
a bottomless pit.
Considering availability, I think im actually gonna get a Polli, simply because we all know why senegalus are always 6-8 inches (ever heard of the hapsburgs?)

Just to be clear,
pɒli'tɛrʌs would be --> poli terus
but in IPA because clarification!

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Considering availability, I think im actually gonna get a Polli, simply because we all know why senegalus are always 6-8 inches (ever heard of the hapsburgs?)

Just to be clear,
If you can find one, look into wild caught sens. I had one and it was so much cooler than the CBs

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

Just to be clear,
A sen is the only one I would consider for a 40B and that’s because it maxes out less than 10 inches. Anything else just gets too big imo.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store