So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

haywood

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
nj
gary2200;4947576; said:
Do you have any tips on how to cure gill cure for my rtc, he is 12" and acting weird, he dosnt eat activly and sit still all day?
There is a link in the sticky that will tell you what to do.

montis

Feeder Fish
Mar 6, 2011
Thailand
Hey guys, I have a six-inch red tail catfish.I just bought him from the fish market and feeding him floating pellets at the moment. He seems to be eating fine but not as much... What do you guys think?
I've been having for around a week already so how fast do you think he'll grow on pellet food?

btw he has three tank mates; 1 florida gar, 1 tiger shovel nose and 1 arowana
they look fine together.

titzwhip

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2009
michigan
They grow fast on anything, I've been feeding my TSN catfish pellets made for channel catfish growers, got a 40 bag on sale for 20 bucks so I got 2 bags :) I have enough food for a long time haha I got him at 2 inches hes about 16-18 now and it's been about 6 months :)

xylpheon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
Washington
thinking about getting an rtc....but im curious as to what market shrimp is? is it just fresh/frozen shrimp that u can buy from your local grocery store?

sorry for the noob question...just trying to make sure im not missing anything when i do decide to get an rtc.

Xylph

Yellow_Perch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan
Thalan;4341925; said:
Yes I still really want one, but I know better.
i hear you man there cool but ehh

Whitesoxman61

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Tinley park
hahahahah i love threads like this i work at a pet shop and we sell little red tails and people sell us the big red tails back and i NEVER seen one get this big ever the biggest one we have gotten was probably 3 and a half feet and that guy had it in a pond you people need to understand that these fish dont grow any where close to 6-8 ft in a FISH TANK and for you people that say " let is go it needs the wild" these fish were not taken from the wild they are bred in captivity they dont know what the wild is i love listening to you people "it costs thousands of dollars to take care of these fish" w t f are you feeding them whole cows? i have 2 that are about 19 inches and i feed them golden roach minnows and they eat like 2 to 3 at a time and those cost me about 4 bucks a dozen i dont think you people can do math because that comes no where near thousands of dollars but keep on trying to turn people off of these amazing fish BTW we get people coming in all the time in my shop to buy the bigger red tails for companys that have small indoor ponds or even our large aquarium comes and buys red tails time to time we probably have them for a month to the longest so quit complaining

Reactions: bknot1

JeffreyPaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2011
Where it gets freaky fasho
When I started this hobby, I had just a FRT. my plan was to get a RTC with My FRT. I got a 180 gallon tank, but I still haven't got my RTC just because of all the people saying you need a 1000 gallon tank. I still Want one. But don't want it to eat my other fish

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I have 2 baby rtc's and cant wait for them to get bigger even if I have to build a pond in my backyard for them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store