Sock/clarity question

jccaclimber

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
I have a 75 gallon planted tank with a poret foam block acting as the filter in a sump. I'm not disappointed with my water clarity, but I'm always game for experimenting for possible improvements. I'm in the process of setting up a 300, and want to play around a bit on a smaller scale first. A co-worker suggested that the clearest his large tank has ever been is when he was running a 50 micron filter sock (might have been 100 micron). Off to McMaster I went and got 100, 50, and 25 micron felt socks (1 each). I nested the 100 inside the 50 inside the 25 and stuck them on the inlet to the sump. Three weeks later they are just starting to back up, but I've noticed ZERO water clarity change. I know some of what I see are micro bubbles (both CO2 in the sump and O2 from plants), but I didn't expect that to be the only contributor.

Is my water just that clean? Are other tanks just that messy without them? Do I need to wait until I have a larger setup to see a benefit? Something else?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'm guessing that since you have a planted 75 your stock doesn't poop at the levels ray and cichla keepers experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store