some MORE cichlid questions....

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
I almost feel like a pain but I have gotten great advice here. As a few of you know from my previous threads I am starting a tanganyika tank. I work at a pet store so I get a discount, that's why I want to stick with things available to me there. If I find something really cool that I want I will go elsewhere but for now I am sticking to my limited availability. If there are any breeders in the indianapolis area I will gladly check out what you have in the way of tangs. So down to what I relly posted for...info. Are the following tangs or would mix well with tangs: any/all haps , lamp leleupi , kennyi , red zebra , socolofi , red empress , red chromide , geoph Surinamensis , kribensis , salvinis , or severums. Thanks again and in advance for all your help. Much appriciated. :feedback:

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Try to narrow the search...

The list contains Vics, SA/CA, Tang., and Mbuna/Malawi.

You shouldn't have much trouble locating stock in your area from others on this site.

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
stick to the african rift lake fishes, severums and kribensis like slightly more acidic water, and all lamprologuses are from lake tanganyka....and stay away from the aratuses in your assorted chichlds...they grow fast, and get mean....

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
spyke;3165300; said:
stay away from the aratuses in your assorted chichlds...they grow fast, and get mean....
isn't that the fun of them?

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
well yeah...untill they beat up some of your prized other fishes....or you could get a malawi eye biter to even out the tank...ha!

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
Ok how does this sound. Pearley compressiceps, black finned slender, tang clown, Blue Juli, lamp brichardi, lemon cichlid, 5 bar, tripod, kendalli and someone said I should try rainbows. Do I need a certain ratio of male to female on each species? I would love to see some breeding. I think that would be fun to try. And are any of those just not compatable?

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
i think lemons tend to be a little grumpy...and if you are refering to a 5 bar frontosa...they get huge...and rainbows...as in rainbow fish?....they live in australia....wrong continent

cichlid_starter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Indianapolis
spyke;3172907; said:
i think lemons tend to be a little grumpy...and if you are refering to a 5 bar frontosa...they get huge...and rainbows...as in rainbow fish?....they live in australia....wrong continent

thanks for the heads up. Someone told me they has rainbows and barbs in their tank as well.

How about pairing. how many and what gender for certain species or does it matter?

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
its usually more girls...less boys...thats how they like it...but couldn't tell you specifics for each speices

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store