Some of my WILD DISCUS

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
[I don’t have any of these fish anymore. I recently found these photos which I thought were lost, taken at my fish room in 1990-1993, and were never shared]. I thought you would enjoy looking at them.

Most of these fish were purchased at fish stores in the Boston and Providence area, one at a time, as imported, stressed & skinny, unlikely to survive fish. Some had been at stores for a while, and had HITH and other ailments, and I brought back to health, deworming, etc. Some were still slightly skinny when photographed. Only one pair (Cuipeua Red, at the time called Curipera Red), were purchased from O. Lucanus in Canada, and one brown discus bought from an importer who frequented the Boston Aquarium Society.

In 2003, when I moved from New England to Cincinnati, I arranged with Al Sabetta (from SimplyDiscus, at the time) to receive my fish (14-18 wild discus? and 2 Uaru amphiachantoides) and a few aquaria, on hold, until I could receive them once settled in Cinty. And we left it at that for all this time (17 years!), which was fine for both of our lives. Al went on to breed several of them with his own stock, and then we lost communication. I don't live in Cincinnati anymore.

I have not had discus since, but I want to again. I have not had a planted discus tank, and that what I would like to go for when I can.

Enjoy!

Symphysodon discus Wild Nhamunda Heckel LatB.jpg

Symphysodon discus Wild Heckel pair.jpg

Symphysodon discus Wild Heckel LatB.jpg

Symphysodon discus Wild Heckel Lat.jpg

Symphysodon aequifasciatus Wild Lat.jpg

Symphysodon aequifasciatus Wild Large LatB.jpg

Symphysodon aequifasciatus Wild Cuipeua Red OLucanus Pair.jpg

Symphysodon aequifasciatus Wild 'skinny' LatB.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
[I don’t have any of these fish anymore. I recently found these photos which I thought were lost, taken at my fish room in 1990-1993, and were never shared]. I thought you would enjoy looking at them.

Most of these fish were purchased at fish stores in the Boston and Providence area, one at a time, as imported, stressed & skinny, unlikely to survive fish. Some had been at stores for a while, and had HITH and other ailments, and I brought back to health, deworming, etc. Some were still slightly skinny when photographed. Only one pair (Cuipeua Red, at the time called Curipera Red), were purchased from O. Lucanus in Canada, and one brown discus bought from an importer who frequented the Boston Aquarium Society.

In 2003, when I moved from New England to Cincinnati, I arranged with Al Sabetta (from SimplyDiscus, at the time) to receive my fish (14-18 wild discus? and 2 Uaru amphiachantoides) and a few aquaria, on hold, until I could receive them once settled in Cinty. And we left it at that for all this time (17 years!), which was fine for both of our lives. Al went on to breed several of them with his own stock, and then we lost communication. I don't live in Cincinnati anymore.

I have not had discus since, but I want to again. I have not had a planted discus tank, and that what I would like to go for when I can.

Enjoy!

View attachment 1419596

View attachment 1419597

View attachment 1419598

View attachment 1419599

View attachment 1419600

View attachment 1419601

View attachment 1419602

View attachment 1419603
Those are beautiful Discus. I actually like the WC Discus species.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Very nice. Wilds aren't my thing but to each their own. However I LOVE the second to last photo of the pair and I liked the 3rd to last photo.
In wilds I prefer solid colored ones.
Anyway, nice fish/photos

Reactions: tlindsey

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

brewmaster15

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2024
F FJB
Came across this thread by accident.. and saw the pics and thought " Hey.. I know those fish....I know that guy" Been a long time my friend... very long. Hope to catch up.

Btw.. the 125 gal you gave me way back then with these fish is still in use in my living room. Those discus have all passed on but lived very long lives here.

Al

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hi Al,
Reading your post today makes my day and fills me with joy. Very happy to read from you and thank you for all these years of taking the absolutely best possible care of our fish.
I am glad to hear they continued to live long lives and I love to think they gave you much joy. Hopefully some of their descendants are still close to you, or not too far around looking beautiful.
The 125 tank still in service? Great news. Thank you for posting here, and welcome to MFKs!!!
All the best, Francisco.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
F FJB
Came across this thread by accident.. and saw the pics and thought " Hey.. I know those fish....I know that guy" Been a long time my friend... very long. Hope to catch up.

Btw.. the 125 gal you gave me way back then with these fish is still in use in my living room. Those discus have all passed on but lived very long lives here.

Al
Welcome aboard
Awesome story.

brewmaster15

Feeder Fish
Feb 2, 2024
Francisco, I am very glad that all is well with you! I can't tell you how happy I wasto run across your post here. Thanks for the welcome here as well. Any closer to getting Discus again?

Al

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store