Some pics of my female Boesemani

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
First of all can i say what a beautiful ray this is,being a brown ray fan this is a species i've admired for some time now, your a lucky fella Justin to own one of these hard to get rays.
Here goes.
The rarity value of this fish is what makes it so desirable and in such demand, like i've already mentioned its beauty is not in question many die hard black ray admireres are taken back by this recently discovered fish and with good reason,most ray enthusiasts want something thats rare and hard to come by,it adds to the spice of owning a fish,i'm no different.
My question is this,if this ray was simply described as a "orange spot "Surinam motoro would the same people be still as interested? after all from what i've seen it bares a striking resemblance to a Motoro ray in more ways than one,infact i will go as far as to say it's very similar to many top top quality Colombian Marble motoro's i see every day on this forum,i personally believe i have Marbles to rival the pattern of this fish but sadly they will never get the recognition they deserve simply because their name ends in that unfashionable word "Motoro".
A few people on here believe that Potamotrygon sp Pearl is a variant of Motoro,for me Pearls are a species in their own right,however i see similarities here with Motoro far more than any Pearl i ever saw.
Just an observation,i need to see this species in the flesh to have a more difinitive opinion.

Top example Justin,really like it !
Good luck in finding her a boyfriend.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
First of all can i say what a beautiful ray this is,being a brown ray fan this is a species I've admired for some time now, your a lucky fella Justin to own one of these hard to get rays.
Here goes.
The rarity value of this fish is what makes it so desirable and in such demand, like I've already mentioned its beauty is not in question many die hard black ray admireres are taken back by this recently discovered fish and with good reason,most ray enthusiasts want something thats rare and hard to come by,it adds to the spice of owning a fish,I'm no different.
My question is this,if this ray was simply described as a "orange spot "Surinam motoro would the same people be still as interested? after all from what i've seen it bares a striking resemblance to a Motoro ray in more ways than one,infact i will go as far as to say it's very similar to many top top quality Colombian Marble motoro's i see every day on this forum,i personally believe i have Marbles to rival the pattern of this fish but sadly they will never get the recognition they deserve simply because their name ends in that unfashionable word "Motoro".
A few people on here believe that Potamotrygon sp Pearl is a variant of Motoro,for me Pearls are a species in their own right,however i see similarities here with Motoro far more than any Pearl i ever saw.
Just an observation,i need to see this species in the flesh to have a more difinitive opinion.

well said apart from the bit about pearl :)

but i can see why pearl breeders dont want to label pearl as a motoro to keep the price high as you said if pearl got that motoro tag most people wouldnt look at them that said pearl were the next big thing like this new type of ray but interest in pearls has faded and not as many people are as interested as before and the massive price drop reflects that

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
well said apart from the bit about pearl :)

but i can see why pearl breeders dont want to label pearl as a motoro to keep the price high as you said if pearl got that motoro tag most people wouldnt look at them that said pearl were the next big thing like this new type of ray but interest in pearls has faded and not as many people are as interested as before and the massive price drop reflects that
We all have our own opinions but the fact that all Pearls have numerous large hook like denticles that run at least 2" from the stock of the tail towards the head for me is enough to say this is a species in its own right.Peruvian,Colombian and Brasilian Motoros however are all very similar in that these denticles stop pretty much at the top of the stock of the tail,its all about attention to detail.
Whilst on the subject of Pearls i have to agree there are some pretty dismal looking ones about,i've seen nicer Peruvian Motoro!! however this is a extremely variable species,so variable that they cannot all be worth the same.................you don't have to look any further than my avatar to see this,also DBJunkie(Alan) has one thats showing great potential aswell as others on here.........this is true of all ray species,if you want the best patterns produced by dedicated breeders then you have to expect to pay more...pure and simple! the Boesemani in this thread is a good example of this.

Glad we mostly agree LOL!!

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
summer2011 081.JPGboesemani sept 2011 004.JPG
First of all can i say what a beautiful ray this is,being a brown ray fan this is a species i've admired for some time now, your a lucky fella Justin to own one of these hard to get rays.
Here goes.
The rarity value of this fish is what makes it so desirable and in such demand, like i've already mentioned its beauty is not in question many die hard black ray admireres are taken back by this recently discovered fish and with good reason,most ray enthusiasts want something thats rare and hard to come by,it adds to the spice of owning a fish,i'm no different.

dude boesemani are totaly different specices from motoro.i dont want to get into it. i have owned many motoro and see alot. boesemani even has a differnt build.

-boesemani have a very solid body build much more muscular looking than motoro "looks like this ray maybe a very large species"
-boesemani tail spines are a single straight row down the top of the tail,and one row running down each side of the tail. " i never seen a ray with spines like this before"
-most importantly the pattern .yes at first i alos thought they looked like fancy motoro but in person you would never say that

and yes you should see one in person "in flesh" to make a difinitive opinion their is major differences "definative ways to distingush apart"

and i would love to see a motoro that looks resembles this.its blacker than my henlei ,mine maybe a bit larger than justins maybe they start to color up when larger or darken up? motoro get uglier the bigger they get .

boesemani sept 2011 004.JPG

summer2011 081.JPG

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
i know they are rare as xxxx and they are the next big thing but to me they are just like a high grade light base motoro

but still looks nice just cant see why people get so excited about them

i saw them in the flesh a month or so ago when i went to frank/nicos place but cant say they pulled me away from the black rays

as for mixing it with a pearl thats right lets mess up the blood line as soon as we find a new type of ray
about the light base you are wrong ,mine is dark base like a black ray,maybe next time you see them dont over look them,their many distingushing features that put them apart from any rays species i have ever kept or seen (but you already know that).the one thing i think is that this ray is a species that gets absolutly massive.it has the beefy looking build.

theirs not enough of them to distingush anything yet.right now they are far apart from pearls or motoro. in photos that you guys have seen of them they are stressed out and their colors washed out cause they were just exported

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
We all have our own opinions but the fact that all Pearls have numerous large hook like denticles that run at least 2" from the stock of the tail towards the head for me is enough to say this is a species in its own right.Peruvian,Colombian and Brasilian Motoros however are all very similar in that these denticles stop pretty much at the top of the stock of the tail,its all about attention to detail.
Whilst on the subject of Pearls i have to agree there are some pretty dismal looking ones about,i've seen nicer Peruvian Motoro!! however this is a extremely variable species,so variable that they cannot all be worth the same.................you don't have to look any further than my avatar to see this,also DBJunkie(Alan) has one thats showing great potential aswell as others on here.........this is true of all ray species,if you want the best patterns produced by dedicated breeders then you have to expect to pay more...pure and simple! the Boesemani in this thread is a good example of this.

Glad we mostly agree LOL!!
is the tail spikes the same on a motoro as a pearl ?

are the tail spikes on a pearl and motoro the same on any other ray apart from this new tyoe which you have said you think could be a motoro to you ?

i have never said i dont like marbles of pearls the price of them is near the same now

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
P.boesemani is a species of it's own. Otherwise it would not have been given a scientific name.
On revision, I do think your ray is a boesemani. The background pattern breaks in to joint spots in a unique way unlike motoro varients.

JR1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2007
cornwall england
I see were you are coming from with the motoro thing, but i do not agree. Light base? the base colour is black not as much as a leo but getting there, i have had motoros, royal marbles colombian marbles and standard motoro and they do not look the same. I did not buy her because she is rare just that i realy think that the beosemani is a stunning ray .

Thanks for everyones comments.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I wish i could get a decent shot of the tail spines for you guys of the boesemani.it has three rows of spines but they are all separate.one runs down the top of the tail and the others , run down each side of the tail .it's lie the tail end of a airplane .one on the top and one on each side .i have never seen rows of spines on a ray that close to the bottom of the tail before.

I would like to create a new species classification for this ray on this site but i don't know how to or which moderator to contact.this is a separate species for sure.i have kept many motoro.... At first glance when i seen these on Oliver lucanus list for $1800 each i thought too they were a ridiculas priced fancy motoro.if i knew than i Would have bought a group of them! As far as i know Oliver was the first and only person to bring any I'n and the ones he did were very limited i think 20 or less rays.
The photos you guys refer to seeing of the boesemani are all after export.justins is the only other i have seen photos of years after exportation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store