some unfortunate incidents in recent days. RIP VATF & Armatus

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
It's been awhile since I've posted an update. In the recent month, I sold off my Tiger Stingray since she would only eat live feeders with no other exceptions and felt that she would wouldnt be able to compete with the other rays in the future. At the same time, I placed my 15" VATF at my friends shop since there was more fighting than I'd like happening with my big GATF. The VATF was doing great at my friends shop until one day another customer had an emergency with his 9-10" dorado shredding up all his tank mates (even bit off half a tail of a marble motoro) placed it in my friends shop (same tank as my VATF). While I was unaware of this things seemed to be alright for a few days until I guess the dorado grew comfortable and then started repeatedly assaulting the much larger VATF. The VATF was decimated overnight and has left me in awkward position since nobody seemingly is going to compensate for her death. While around the same time, my friend who was giving me two of his large armatus since he had to go on a long vacation ended up at another friends shop. One of the two ended up dying from possibly not getting along with the new tank mates (RTC and Pacu). Since then, my mood has been low and have not paid as much attention as I had before on the rest of my fish. Hopefully I can get my GATF to eat prepped food soon, he has not had a bite of food for about a month now..

image4.PNG

image6.JPG

image3.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
That really sucks, sorry to hear and see.
Whenever you hand a fish over to someone else to hold it, there's risk. Your stories are a painful reminder. Hard to ask a friend, who was doing a favor, for compensation. Unless it was a formal monetary agreement to board the fish.

I hope you overcome the feeling of drag and get your spirits back soon!

Again, very sorry for your loss.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry to hear!

Reactions: greenerinks

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That must really suck! I hope you have better luck in future!

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
greenerinks greenerinks bro, so sorry to hear about the multiple losses. I too, have had a hard couple of months and was feeling the same way you are about this hobby, but it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the magnificent fish that you have. Don't be discouraged. I hope your mood gets better with time.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Very disappointing that the shop end up mixing client's fishes. I would have thought that they would keep them separated or housed in separate tanks. I understand it's not always possible due to the size & limited space. Whenever I see a group of oddballs together at the lfs with no price listed, I find out it's usually a "single" client stock and not fishes group together.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thank you all for comforting comments.. I've been keeping myself busy with work which has helped a lot actually which is why I posted this up now since it happened almost two weeks ago. the shop keeper is a friend of mine and I didn't ask for any compensation anyway because I didn't want to put him in a difficult position either. What actually happened was the kid with the dorado kind of showed up at his door with the fish and this was the only tank that could house it. at first, they were worried that the much larger vatf would kill the dorado instead. I was just taken back a bit because it was not to my knowledge that the dorado was placed in there anyway. But, I'm over it.. just felt bad that the vatf past on in such a tragic way. Literally shredded to death by an overly aggressive juvenile dorado. Regardless of this mishap, I'm still strong in this hobby. Just needed some distractions for a bit. Really just a brutal reminder that mixing monster fish carries a lot of risk as I know DB junkie DB junkie has been through a lot recently with tank setups much larger. I can only plan ahead properly to create the best suitable conditions for my current and future fish.

Reactions: moe214 and Hendre

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sorry to hear bro. That really sucks. Ignorance isn't always bliss. If he knew more about dorado and how they can be he should have turned it down for the reason it was brought in, or atleast told you so you could have decided on leaving the vatf or not. Was a beautiful specimen you raised. Don't let it discourage you from keeping the other beautiful fish you have. Something I was told through some family losses was life moves on, take it day by day. Going on 5 years since I heard that and it still helps me today.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Oh boy that sucks and I'm really sorry for your loss buddy. And it's good that you are still strong in this awesome hobby :). RIP VATF. How old was she?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store