Something (worms?) killed all fish

Andym3

Feeder Fish
Mar 2, 2019
I have a 20 gallon tank. I had an eel catfish for over a year. A few days ago I added a rope fish and a snail. Unfortunately both fish passed rather quickly. As I removed them I noticed white spots on both, which from a little research suggests worms? I have no other fish in the tank except the snail. Can those worms survive in the snail or outside any host at all? How should I treat the tank so that this doesn't happen again when I get another fish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say if it’s from a parasite/worms. Could be from any cause. Even water quality will do similar. Would qt the snail for a bit and empty the tank. Clean with Clorox and restart the tank. That’s just my suggestion to make sure what ever it is....is cleaned out.

Reactions: tlindsey and skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Not enough information and not clear. Are you saying you saw worms or only suspect worms.

Hello; With the information provided my first suggestion is to disinfect the tank and all contents and any equipment used. A simple bleach solution should do that. You will be starting over after such a cleaning. You will also need some water conditioner such a PRIME to detox the bleach.
After a good soak in the bleach solution give everything a good rinse. Fill the tank, set up filters and other equipment then add some PRIME. You will have to cycle the tank which can take six to eight weeks.

If you can in the future try to have a separate tank where new fish, snails and such can be quarantined. That way new fish will not kill the old fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 20 gallon tank. I had an eel catfish for over a year. A few days ago I added a rope fish and a snail. Unfortunately both fish passed rather quickly. As I removed them I noticed white spots on both, which from a little research suggests worms? I have no other fish in the tank except the snail. Can those worms survive in the snail or outside any host at all? How should I treat the tank so that this doesn't happen again when I get another fish?

Welcome aboard

Sorry for your loss

Tbh it could have been the snail died or Ropefish was ill and infected the aquarium. Also your filter possibly couldn't handle bioload and you had a ammonia spike. Lots of factors .

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store