Soooo Green! HELP!

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Then, once you do those water changes, and the pond clear is diluted you will have green water again.

Just up your filtration.. add another bucket. Making a better filter is going to be cheaper than you buying that algae junk.

dzjr1188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2011
allentown, pa
a UV is the best cheapest long term fix for green water in any tank/pond

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
My pond is till crystal clear. This has only happened twice in 3 years, and we've spent less than $15 total fixing it.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
If you aren't willing to take advice, why did you post about it being green?

If you fixed it the other times, what made this time different?

You wanted opinions on what to do, but when we told you what needed to be done to KEEP it clear, you decided that you don't want to listen.

I honestly feel bad for your turtles. I know I would never let my turtles live in water like that. they deserve better IMO.

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
Well I posted about the Algae killer, and if it would harm anything, and I got the answer I needed.

Second, the water is all crystal clear. The levels are still perfect as always. The turtles are happy.

Besides, turtles aren't affected by water quality as much as fish. Also, have you ever been to a river where turtles live, you can't see inches below the surface. Turtles rely on scent of smell for hunting, not sight, so the water wouldn't effect them.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
You are correct, they aren't affected by water quality as much, so does that mean it's ok to neglect their water and make them live in worse quality that your fish?

That's not fair to the turtles. You took them in to give them the best life possible, yet their upkeep lacks because "they can deal with it."

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
^I understand where you're coming from, as I've seen other people on this site who neglect care, and don't budge when given other options. But....

You have to understand, the water is CLEAR and BALANCED. It was green for a week, now it's fine. It was green because this time of year, it gets a lot more sun than usual. I would go out and take a picture but it's getting dark.

I have tried to make this pond as simple, and low maintenance as possible. I am a college student and will no doubt be moving out sooner or later. I want the pond to have the least amount of things to deal with for my dad when I leave.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
So taking your filter and making it a larger scale is too much maintenance? This would mean no green pond pretty much.. ever.

You're a college student.. ok, I deal with college students all day.. you aren't moving out right this minute, so why not give them a better life while you still can?

I'm not trying to be rude, I just think you're using the "I'm a college kid and I have no money so I want to do what's cheap and is going to require as little effort as possible."

Potassium Permanganate is a much better option for clearing your pond of organics because it's actually safe.. for fish, turtles, people.. It's used to sterilize drinking water.

L!NUS

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2009
Burbank, Ca
$30 is no big deal for me, I do work. I'll talk to my dad and such, but I thought 600GPH filter would have the water moving too fast for the UVB to do anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store