South American lungfish in 60 gallon tank??

Shanahandleit

Exodon
Jun 8, 2018
Hey y'all. I almost bought a south american lungfish, but thanks to the people on this site, I decided to go with a gilled instead. I heard before from two websites that sals could live in a 60 gallon tank? Thankfully I know now this isn't true, but why would those websites say that if they weren't trying to sell fish? Hmm

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Hey y'all. I almost bought a south american lungfish, but thanks to the people on this site, I decided to go with a gilled instead. I heard before from two websites that sals could live in a 60 gallon tank? Thankfully I know now this isn't true, but why would those websites say that if they weren't trying to sell fish? Hmm
Some websites copy information from each other even though the information is not correct or they think a SAL is the same as a WAL (P. annectens), of which that information is from hobbyists who kept a WAL in a 60g tank (not necessarily for the whole life of the WAL either).

Shanahandleit

Exodon
Jun 8, 2018
Some websites copy information from each other even though the information is not correct or they think a SAL is the same as a WAL (P. annectens), of which that information is from hobbyists who kept a WAL in a 60g tank (not necessarily for the whole life of the WAL either).
Ah, thanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Plenty of sites out there with bad information, on fish as well as pretty much any subject. It's common sense really, a SAL gets 3-4' long and possibly 10+" thick. A 60 gallon tank is 4' long and 12" wide. Can you imagine a 4'x10" fish in a 4'x12" tank?
If you search on the internet, you will also find plenty of people saying Oscars are fine in a 30 gallon tank, fish only grow to the size of their tank, arowanas are fine in a 75 gallon, etc. Doesn't make it true. This is a website dedicated to "monster" fish like the lungfish; I would take the advice of people here over most.

Shanahandleit

Exodon
Jun 8, 2018
Plenty of sites out there with bad information, on fish as well as pretty much any subject. It's common sense really, a SAL gets 3-4' long and possibly 10+" thick. A 60 gallon tank is 4' long and 12" wide. Can you imagine a 4'x10" fish in a 4'x12" tank?
If you search on the internet, you will also find plenty of people saying Oscars are fine in a 30 gallon tank, fish only grow to the size of their tank, arowanas are fine in a 75 gallon, etc. Doesn't make it true. This is a website dedicated to "monster" fish like the lungfish; I would take the advice of people here over most.
I agree. I don't know where some of those people get their info from when they are putting it on those websites.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I once read on a site that an arowana could live in a 10 gallon it's entire life (the comment were all like :ya for a day and then it's life is over")

This site was most like just copying and pasting info from other site that did the same

Shanahandleit

Exodon
Jun 8, 2018
I once read on a site that an arowana could live in a 10 gallon it's entire life (the comment were all like :ya for a day and then it's life is over")

This site was most like just copying and pasting info from other site that did the same
Oh lordy. I hope no one follows that advice

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Every time I go to a walmart I see that iridescent sharks only get to six to eight inches. Every time I go to a chain store I see they only get to 8 - 12 inches. Every time I go to Thailand I see that they only get to this size

831-munadi_menemukan_ikan_patin_seberat_60_kg_dokposkota-696x341.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store