South American tankmate suggestions

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
Hello mfk community, I come back from an extended break with questions. I am currently running a 75 Gallon South American tank with two canisters.
So far the stocking is as follows:

(1) Male Green Terror (orange stripe)
(2) Rapheal Catfish
(1) Albino Bristlenose Pleco
(2) Black Skirt Tetra

When I bought the tank, it came with two large silver dollars which I recently gave away.

I want some tankmate suggestions for reasonably active fish that will create more movement within the tank.

I have considered adding two Hoplo Catfish and maybe one Jaguar Catfish. I am interested in the possibility of other decent sized cichlids or eartheaters. I have never kept eartheaters before and would need some information.

Also, I have recently replaced the gravel with aragonite sand.

Pictures for your time.

-Thank you

20161225_103555.jpg

20161225_103603.jpg

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
Thank you. So that rules out severums, eartheaters, and Oscars, and I agree. I do find Hoplos appealing. My green terror seems fairly mild tempered. Any suggestions for the addition of something other than a cichlid or catfish?

Reactions: Frank Castle

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
After doing some research, it appears that they are notorious fin nippers. I think I will avoid them considering my terrors finnage; however, I appreciate the suggestion.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thank you. So that rules out severums, eartheaters, and Oscars, and I agree. I do find Hoplos appealing. My green terror seems fairly mild tempered. Any suggestions for the addition of something other than a cichlid or catfish?
Agree w/ Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 100% - a docile male GT will only stay that way as an adult if he doesn't have other cichlids to scuffle with. Whether or not he would kill or fight with other cichlids remains in question, he will take up most of that 75g by himself when full grown.

Might I suggest adding another 4-20 Black Skirt Tetras? They are a schooling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more (6 apparently constitutes a "school") or perhaps a combination of 4 more Black Skirts along w 6 of another species of Tetra and 6 of another and so on.

6 or more Tiger barbs, Giant Danios or Rainbowfish would work well, as well as 6 or more Mollies, Platys, Fancy Guppies, Swordtails, etc. Mollys and Swordtail would be best IMO since they grow considerably larger than Platys or Guppies and the GT would have a harder time making a meal out of them

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
After doing some research, it appears that they are notorious fin nippers. I think I will avoid them considering my terrors finnage; however, I appreciate the suggestion.
I've never had any problems with them if they were in a group.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I tried bleeding hearts with my rivulatus and they started to get eaten.I had to remove the rest quickly.
I have seen people keep larger characin with them,but don't under estimate how predatory they can become. Especially in smaller tanks.

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
I had a large school of guppies, but they started dissapearing so I moved the survivors to a smaller tank. For some reason he has ignored the black tetras so trying more would be a good idea. As for minding the Terror's aggression, will he tolerate other non-cichlid fish like bichirs? I know it breaks the south American theme.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Depends on the temperament of your individual fish.If yours is laid back then I would think they would be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store