Spawning or Fighting?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
How do I tell the difference. I have 2 Bifa's in a tank together, they're lip locking and circling each other. They're both about 6 inches. How do I tell if this is spawning type behavior or if I need to separate them?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
It's a lot of this kinda behavior. It got a bit more intense, more lip locking for about 20-30 minutes, then they got tired and both went to different ends of the tank. I THINK they might be different sex because they look just a LITTLE bit different, but neither has any obvious male characteristics--longer fins, hump on the head. But, they DO have slightly different body shape.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Around 25-27 it looks like the chunkier one is doing the head shake, although I know nothing about CA cichlids. My guess would be spawning.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
They are just fighting, not spawning. Spawning has a lot more head shaking, and the tubes will be emerging.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Could be the beginning of spawning, before the tubes drop, and the serious testing begins. Did one of the 2 dig the pit?
Also does one have blue eyes and one not? I tried to see but couldn't tell, one of those, need to be there to tell.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
They've quit lip locking. Now the bigger chases the smaller one around the tank, the bigger one's acting a little different from normal. I have 2 stumps, he goes from one to the other, and then chases the little one around. Both fish have brown eyes. I don't see any digging going on yet.

I'm gonna give it a few more days before I separate them. Or put them back in the big tank.

They were both together in a much larger tank, and I just put em in this 125 because of a crazy Zonatus. They did some flaring in the big tank occassionally, but there was so much traffic in there that other fish would get between them when they started circling or flaring.

They quit circling each other in the 125, too--when they quit fighting...yesterday.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Do you see the tubes Down?
Initially, I thought just fighting but at 27 seconDs, that looks a little like breeDing behavior.
It kinD of looks like 2 females but if their tubes are Down, its Defenitely spawning.

BTW, sorry for the capital Ds, computer problem

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Nope. No tubes down.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Very difficult to distinguish males from females with these guys. You'll know which is the female when her tube is out...it'll be thick & more rounded than the male's as seen in the second pic...almost like a hernia. My pair bred constantly and on occasion, they would beat each other up pretty badly...afterwards, they'd go on with their spawn. They didn't always fight but here's how bad it got one time along with the fry. Sorry for the double pics...don't know what happened.
IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0797.JPGIMG_0547.JPG IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store