Spiny eels

fishlover87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2024
Hello all hope.everyone is well need some help I have a custom tank l 94 w63 d 60
Stock is African leopard bush fish African knife 2 kirbs and I hope still there a twig catfish but haven't seen it for months and no body also recently bought a black spotted eel wanted for a while

My question is has anyone had these fish before how big do they get and what's everyone's experience with them I have tried researching online but all I can find is wild information I know in the wild they can get to 50 cm but the shop told.me average about 30 in the aquarium as much info as possible please I got it from warf aquatics and been told they are really good and know their stuff in fact one of the best he has been in a day and had him taking food from me same day earth worms bought from same place he is settling quite well I was worried due to 5 hour drive and managed to get out the bag while.i was acclimating him but all good so far sorry for.long post more.info is always better

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all hope.everyone is well need some help I have a custom tank l 94 w63 d 60
Stock is African leopard bush fish African knife 2 kirbs and I hope still there a twig catfish but haven't seen it for months and no body also recently bought a black spotted eel wanted for a while

My question is has anyone had these fish before how big do they get and what's everyone's experience with them I have tried researching online but all I can find is wild information I know in the wild they can get to 50 cm but the shop told.me average about 30 in the aquarium as much info as possible please I got it from warf aquatics and been told they are really good and know their stuff in fact one of the best he has been in a day and had him taking food from me same day earth worms bought from same place he is settling quite well I was worried due to 5 hour drive and managed to get out the bag while.i was acclimating him but all good so far sorry for.long post more.info is always better
Welcome aboard
Tbh I don't have any experience with the black spotted eel. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience with the eel specie.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

fishlover87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2024
Welcome aboard
Tbh I don't have any experience with the black spotted eel. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience with the eel specie.
Ok thank you I'm hoping so as well information on Google isnt very helpful lots of info on them in the wild but not captive I posted on another forum but had very contradicting reports and 1 even say non of my fish should be in the tank as it's too small even tho the tank is over sized for the fish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok thank you I'm hoping so as well information on Google isnt very helpful lots of info on them in the wild but not captive I posted on another forum but had very contradicting reports and 1 even say non of my fish should be in the tank as it's too small even tho the tank is over sized for the fish
I believe you have a spiny eel species mastacembelus dayi. Tagging a member who may have experience.
kno4te kno4te

fishlover87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2024
I believe you have a spiny eel species mastacembelus dayi. Tagging a member who may have experience.
kno4te kno4te
Thank you yes that is the species black spotted is the common name I believe but you are right mastacembelus dayi is the scientific name for them

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
kno4te kno4te
Thank you yes that is the species black spotted is the common name I believe but you are right mastacembelus dayi is the scientific name for them
Yes. Should be and most likely dayi.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'm after expertise from people who have kept them and advice on current stock if you can help?
Sure. I’ve kept a few in the past. Would keep some hideouts for the eel. Keep the tank covered. Would avoid aggressive tankmates. Keep nitrates below 20ppm. Try and get it on varied diet. Soak foods in vitamin supplement if eating one type of food staple.

fishlover87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2024
Sure. I’ve kept a few in the past. Would keep some hideouts for the eel. Keep the tank covered. Would avoid aggressive tankmates. Keep nitrates below 20ppm. Try and get it on varied diet. Soak foods in vitamin supplement if eating one type of food staple.
Ok how big have you had them get and thank you for the info current tank mates are bushfish 2 kirbs and a knife fish the brown knife

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store