Dec 6, 2023
Price
Region
Southeast
State
Florida
Pickup or shipping
Pickup only
I got "Don" as one of my first fish. He was so little! Before I realized pet shops sell fish that quickly outgrow the tanks most keep. Gotta have that extra dollar! My bad though. I didn't research, just fell in love with the little guy. And the love has lasted. He is one of the few original fish I purchased about 5 yrs ago who has survived my many failures. He is now around 21".

I would have kept getting larger tanks, but my daughter was in a catastrophic accident 8 months ago. She is a miracle survival, but still has a LONG road ahead of her. And us. The insurance ran out just in the 1st couple weeks of her care, a crooked cop saw a nice payout for lying and claiming the hazard lights were on a commercial vehicle (despite every other firefighter and cop saying otherwise) so she was charged. And atm we can't fight it. Our retirement savings is already gone.

Here are the catches: #1) Don is a picky eater! #2) he will only be hand fed. To swim after his food is beneath him! #3) he won't eat live food! That would mean working for it. #4) while switching to a larger tank, the lid was off, my son scared him and he jumped out and landed on terrazzo floor, apparently breaking his jaw. I did not know until my son confessed about 3 weeks later. I thought he was mad about the move and no longer being in my room) #5) if you upset or scare him (like your finger gets sucked into his mouth and scares/hurts him) he's likely done eating until he forgives you or the pain ebbs. #6) he may be a she bc he knows how to hold a grudge. Or reincarnated mafia. I ONCE told him he was going to have to put on his big boy fins and eat more than just bloodworms bc it was too expensive. The next morning I woke to my biggest, fattest Molly with a perfectly shaped, single bite mark out of its fat belly. Point made. He still gets his fill of bloodworms. Which is how he got his name of "mafia Don." #7) he LOVES to be talked to. He listens intently and shows interest.

Obviously, I want him to go to someone who has the desire to have a real fish friend and the ability to provide him a home he can turn around in without folding in half. He is presently in a 150 gal tank and it is WAY too small. He is used to having smaller friends. He has never eaten one - only took a bite of one in warning. I have a common pleco and albino African clawed frogs that can go with him to make the new home less traumatic. They've been with him almost from the start.
I cannot tell you how having to find him a home breaks my heart. He's my buddy! But my daughter's care must come 1st.

I pray there's another crazy "fish are people too" person out there that he can hang out with.
Price is negotiable for the right home.
Sorry about the dirty tank, taking care of a brain injured daughter AND my grandson doesn't leave the time I once had.

I am also open for ideas to find him a suitable home.

20231206_130948.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store