Spots on driftwood and brown algae

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thanks for the info F1. Any recs on fixing the issue? This is a really pretty piece of DW and I'd like to fix it if I can, without harming my fish. Not that I have a world of experience, but I always see growth when I add more root tabs. It certainly can't hurt to try :D

And since you mentioned a press for making tabs... How about a silicone mini ice cube tray with each cell filled less than 1/2 way? Use a small measuring spoon or ChapStick tube w/cap on for better pressure to compact ingredients. I use them to make bath fizzies with my daughter all the time. Although I'd imagine your ingredients would need to contain something that wouldn't dissolve as soon as it hits the water ~ like a bath fizz :p

We use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Living-S...&qid=1391231652&sr=1-3&keywords=silicone+mini

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Interesting. On the tabs! They also make pill presses that are metal and have serious torque!

Maybe take the wood out and bake or boil it. I usually let mine sit outside for a week when its hot or bake smaller pieces on 275° for 10-15min carefully watching the oven, then soak in the bath tub with a rock weighing it down, I've had no issues but our water chemistry is totally different so the variables are abundant!

Idk how to make the tabs, buy I just buy tabs from my buddy Nilcog on TpT, the osmocote kind.

Also, not sure if this is still around though, but someone named hydrophyte ran a riparium website and made gro-soil tabs, which were basically tabs of soil. I really like them for my swords and crypts and heavy rooting plants.

Also, L, whatcha doin' with the 125?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I think my eco complete has let me get by thus far but I imagine it wont last forever! But I still dose ks204 dry and it settles in the sub so maybe that helps. Also have a decent Bio load.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Idk how to make the tabs, buy I just buy tabs from my buddy Nilcog on TpT, the osmocote kind.

Also, not sure if this is still around though, but someone named hydrophyte ran a riparium website and made gro-soil tabs, which were basically tabs of soil. I really like them for my swords and crypts and heavy rooting plants.

Also, L, whatcha doin' with the 125?

I wait for sales and buy seachem flourish tabs. Paid $7 for 40 tabs, free shipping too with Amazon prime.

Ah, the 125.... Its the next size tank for my precious Malagasies. 6ft long x 22 high x 18 deep. Found it through a fish club member. $200 for tank, oak wood boxed out over metal stand, with matching canopy, glass lids and tons of rocks. I'm going to do a 3d BG, "Bulu Point" from Designs by Nature. Driftwood, Rocks, and Sunset gold sand. My brother is a master carpenter and my husband is an Architectural Engineer, so the stand/canopy will get a great makeover with custom decorative moulding and a really dark, dark stain. Its going in my living room, so it has to look great.

Let's see which members of my my Madagascar stock list will be familiar to you ;)
Paretroplus Maculatus, Paretroplus Kieneri, Ptychochromis Tarantsy and Paratilapia Bleekeri. My baby Paretroplus Menarambo are too small to join their cousins :)

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Interesting. On the tabs! They also make pill presses that are metal and have serious torque!

Maybe take the wood out and bake or boil it. I usually let mine sit outside for a week when its hot or bake smaller pieces on 275° for 10-15min carefully watching the oven, then soak in the bath tub with a rock weighing it down, I've had no issues but our water chemistry is totally different so the variables are abundant!

I think my eco complete has let me get by thus far but I imagine it wont last forever! But I still dose ks204 dry and it settles in the sub so maybe that helps. Also have a decent Bio load.
Thanks F1, I was thinking about boiling them again. When I first got the driftwood pieces, I didn't let them dry at all. I did use my giant lobster pot and boiled them for hours though. Maybe that's why.. Interesting theory. Its waaaay to cold for them to dry outside now. I'd be worried about them in the oven, have to think about that one. Looks like I'll be using the lobster pot again.

Every time I hear anything about putting aquarium related products in a bathtub, I instantly laugh and think of your story about washing pothos in your tub and how mad your gf was!!!!

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Just had a thought...... Does the presence of products like carbon, purigen or chemipure in a canister filter reduce the efficacy of aquarium ferts dosed into the water????

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thanks F1, I was thinking about boiling them again. When I first got the driftwood pieces, I didn't let them dry at all. I did use my giant lobster pot and boiled them for hours though. Maybe that's why.. Interesting theory. Its waaaay to cold for them to dry outside now. I'd be worried about them in the oven, have to think about that one. Looks like I'll be using the lobster pot again.

Every time I hear anything about putting aquarium related products in a bathtub, I instantly laugh and think of your story about washing pothos in your tub and how mad your gf was!!!!

Yea it definitely clogged my tub and to this day still drains super slow even after draino and a snake. She gave the puppy a bath the other day and brought it up again LOL. I was like **** its been like 2 years, talk about living in the past.

And yes some chemical media will definitely reduce organics and impurities!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Yea it definitely clogged my tub and to this day still drains super slow even after draino and a snake. She gave the puppy a bath the other day and brought it up again LOL. I was like **** its been like 2 years, talk about living in the past.
And yes some chemical media will definitely reduce organics and impurities!
So, now maybe I've discovered another missing piece of the puzzle for stunted plant growth. Can't believe that idea never occurred to me :banghead:

Oh no, it sounds like your plumbing is still living in the past!! Speaking of your new baby, how is she? More pics please :D

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Just had a thought...... Does the presence of products like carbon, purigen or chemipure in a canister filter reduce the efficacy of aquarium ferts dosed into the water????

A little but...there have been large debates about it in the past.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Thanks, any ideas where I can read more about that? I'm curious now!

Probably on The Planted Tank, Aquatic Plant Central, and The Barr Report, for the best and most accurate information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store