Spotted/Florida gar

Sebas24

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2016
Hi this is my first time being part of a forum or whatever so please forgive me if I have trouble using this. Ok so my question is if there's any size difference or something between a spotted and Florida gar because I'm planning on getting one for my pond but I'm never finding the info I want so if I could get a answer that'd be great

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don't have experience with gars but I assure you members with knowledge will happily answer your questions. Welcome to MFK :)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Spotted gar and Florida gar are similar in size, care and most other areas, whereas the longnose gar is substantially bigger with a longer snout. What size pond do u have?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks I'm glad I finally joined after stalking you guys for some time
Spotted gar and Florida gar are similar in size, care and most other areas, whereas the longnose gar is substantially bigger with a longer snout. What size pond do u have?
Spotted are the smallest extant Gar at 2-3ft, Florida can get 4.5ft and about twice the weight. The Spotted would be more practical in captivity in general, and more forgiving of temperatures, found as far north as Canada.

Sebas24

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2016
I do
i don't remember the exact numbers but it's like 7something feet front to back and side to side and some where between 1 1/2'- 1 3/4' tall

Sebas24

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2016
Spotted are the smallest extant Gar at 2-3ft, Florida can get 4.5ft and about twice the weight. The Spotted would be more practical in captivity in general, and more forgiving of temperatures, found as far north as Canada.
Thank you so many other places get into how to tell them apart that they don't talk about the sizes and stuff of the fish, so the spotted defiantly looks like the one for me

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Spotted probably best choice for your pond, longnose get to big, over 70 inches is common for longnose here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store