Spotted Gar bloated

Awesome one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2016
Hi
I have a baby spotted gar (6inch) he's been bloated around the rear end for about two weeks and struggles to submerge.
Treated with all the usual meds ie melaflix/pimalix, octozin and epsolm salts but no joy.
He also has damaged pelvic fins from a (since removed spotted puffer) so to help him out I took him out under anaesthetic (clove oil) to trim them and hopefully help him to swim properly. While under the influence of the clove, the bloating went away and has returned after the clove wore off.
Any ideas as to what's wrong with him and what to do next.
Many thanks

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Tetracycline is what I would use.

From what I was able to find this condition in gars is usually caused by either a blockage or infection of the spiral valve. Had this occur with a longnose in my collection. Tried epsom salt first. When that didn't work I went to tetracycline, based off of the information found in this thread.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/broken.207536/#post-2668895

I didn't manage to find out anything further.

I treated with full strength treatment as per directions on the package. This particular longnose is about to go back into the main tank.

Awesome one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tetracycline is what I would use.

From what I was able to find this condition in gars is usually caused by either a blockage or infection of the spiral valve. Had this occur with a longnose in my collection. Tried epsom salt first. When that didn't work I went to tetracycline, based off of the information found in this thread.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/broken.207536/#post-2668895

I didn't manage to find out anything further.

I treated with full strength treatment as per directions on the package. This particular longnose is about to go back into the main tank.
Thanks for replying. Did it solve the problem?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Problem seemed to resolve itself within the first day of adding meds. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. I'll have to see if it becomes an issue again when added back into the main tank.

I didn't want to risk adding medication to the main tank with the other gars or my motoro, so I separated to a quarantine tank. Added some feeders to try and stimutate it's appetite.

The initial dose of meds I added in two parts, about an hour apart, while watching the fish because of how sensitive gars tend to be to medication.

Reactions: tlindsey

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Problem seemed to resolve itself within the first day of adding meds. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. I'll have to see if it becomes an issue again when added back into the main tank.

I didn't want to risk adding medication to the main tank with the other gars or my motoro, so I separated to a quarantine tank. Added some feeders to try and stimutate it's appetite.

The initial dose of meds I added in two parts, about an hour apart, while watching the fish because of how sensitive gars tend to be to medication.
I've never had a gar sensitive to meds but regardless treat him with a full cycle of T.C. Don't cut it short because he looks better. glad hes doing better.

Whered you get your gar by the way?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've never had a gar sensitive to meds but regardless treat him with a full cycle of T.C. Don't cut it short because he looks better. glad hes doing better.

Whered you get your gar by the way?
Perhaps I wasn't clear, my longnose was treated for a full 4 day treatment as per the directions on the package. It showed improvement after the first treatment though.

Most "ancient fish" are sensitive to medications. A quick search will provide more information.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Perhaps I wasn't clear, my longnose was treated for a full 4 day treatment as per the directions on the package. It showed improvement after the first treatment though.

Most "ancient fish" are sensitive to medications. A quick search will provide more information.
oh ok well good then : ) i may have misread.

Really? my bichir and gar have never been sensitive to meds...interesting to see a different perspective. I've always had much better luck with ancients and medication.

Awesome one

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2016

Wicked thanks. Now the tricky part of getting antibiotics in the UK without getting ripped off by a vet.
If my gars anything to go by, you're right about meds. Didn't like the higher dose of epsolm salts at all and went absolutely ape **** in the clove oil bath and refused to go to sleep.

leopard_pagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
UK
Where do you find tetracycline in the UK?
Got a florida Gar on its side & bloated. 1st tried swimbladder treatment, now thinking it might not be that... would internal bacteria treatments also work (intrapet #9) as i do have this on hand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store