Spotted gar tail bitten off

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
That filament on the tail actually grows/shrinks into the topshrinks lobe on the caudal fin. When they are first hatched until about 3"+/-, that little top lobe on the tail flutters like a hummingbird's wings. It helps them move without actually swimming/undulating their body. They look like a floating pine needle or a stick. Helps keep them from being prey to something and also they can sneak up on what they are eating without any noticeable motion giving them away. The top lobe will grow back and so will the tail fin like you've already seen. Sometimes the tail isn't perfect when it grows back though.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Cant say it was bitten off :) this is how it looks today :) and he's growing like weed :p

uploadfromtaptalk1425520576213.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I thought it would be just fine. I've been keeping garfishes for the better part of 30 years and all of the specimens that I have kept have a remarkable ability to heal themselves. Probably why they've been around for eons. It looks like the rays of the caudal fin grew back with a little bit of a crook/bend to them verses being straight like they were before the tail was lopped off. That's usually unnoticeable for people who see your fish, other than Mr. I want myfish absolutely perfect Ol' OCD zeke. Lol!

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Thanks :) :) Zeke hehe to someone who knows what to look at, knows there was something wrong :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I'm just really funny about wanting my fish to look absolutely perfect. I just would have to trade in or sell a fish that had a bashed in face like alot of the ATF and Shovelnose species of Catfish get by slamming into the aquarium walls at mach 1. I can usually overlook the finnage that doesn't grow back perfect. But if it is really noticeable damage , I usually just have to start over with another fish. I'm not OCD about anything in my life ,except the way my fish look. Terrible, but that's just me. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store