Stacked 240 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Stand

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
Looking for advice for building what is posted in the title.

The tank dimensions are 8x2x2. I currently have one tank and am looking at buying another. Its not in the best of shape, but it holds water and I could use the space for my Tilapia breeder colonies. Only way I would have space for it would be to stack the aquariums.

Has anyone stacked acrylic aquariums this large before? Any tips for the stand design? I built a stand for stacked glass 55 gallons before, but there are different requirements for acrylic and glass aquariums.

I would preferably run the tanks in unison with a fluidized sump below the bottom tank. I realize this will jack the height up, but I'm 6'4'' and am not against using a stool to reach the top tank.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
its possible but if the filter is under both tanks you will not have much room to do your maint. I have a 4x8 stacked on top of a 7x40" with a filter on the side. I made the space above the bottom tank tall so I could add another filter and also when I have to get in there there is plenty of room and not a tight squeeze. this would make maintenance hard as well. so another thing you might want to think about. give yourself plenty of room above each section.
these are old pics when first completed.

tanks.jpg

filter.jpg

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
It's going to be difficult getting the bottom tank in and out unless you have enough room to slide it in from the side. An 8ft stand should have a minimum of 3 sets of supports (one on the sides and one in the middle), preferably 4 sets spaced 2ft apart. You could either make the center support removable to slide the tank in from the front, or make the side openings large enough to fit the tank through before enclosing that side and moving the stand into place.

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
Came across a video on youtube this weekend by the King of DIY. He made a stacked stand for some custome acrylic tanks he made (96x36) out of 2x8 with no middle supports. He had his filter off in another room, but I could either make the stand taller, or just give up and realize that I am probably going to have to have the filter on the side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store