Stacked lumber pond?

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I am in the planning stages of a deck in my back yard and I was thinking of incorporating a 5,000 to 10,000 gallon koi pond made of stacked lumber into it.
Does anyone on here have or know of a stacked lumber pond that has lasted for more than 10 years or so?
I would also like some ideas for filtration, I would like to do it with a submersible pump so I do not have to put any bulkhead holes in the pond liner but I also want to be able to backwash.
Is there any submersible pumps big enough for a pond this size that has back washing capabilities?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oaksw12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2011
Richmond, VA
For a pond this size, you might try some koi forums like koiphen.com for more specialized answers.

Pressure treated lumber can easily last 10+ years, especially if it's not directly in contact with the ground and gets additional treatment every few years (or is covered on the outside.)

As far as turnover, depends on your fish and plant load and what kind of filters you want to use. There are pumps around 10k gph that are reasonable ($250-$500), and 20k gph pumps for maybe double that. Most large pond owners will recommend against a submersible pump though because of electricity consumption and wear and tear.

I only have a 400 gallon pond (glorified fish tank) and haven't been running it for long so I'm not the best at answering a lot of questions, but I'll try to help out with what I can.

Moneypit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Wa
If you are planning koi stay away from submersible pumps, they just chop up the crap and make it harder to filter out. Your best bet is a settling chamber and then to your pump, this way you get the larger solids out before your pump. Koi get large and produce huge amounts of waste. For turn over rate most people shoot for at least one per hour and up from there, I turn mine over twice per hour between my skimmer circuit and bottom drain circuit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store