Stainless Framed Geezer Tanks

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Yeah... I've got a couple of 'em and I'll post a couple pics later today. One's in a stalled state of rebuild after a young house guest thought he'd move the tank by pulling on the front glass and frame. It might have worked had the tank not been full but whatever. The other stainless unit I have has the biggest wisteria plant in you've seen in a long time. That, a zillion shrimp and a lone male orange Endler that thinks he's the total rooster.

Yeah... they looked a little funky if water dribbled on the trim and were not the easiest to keep looking just right but to some of us they look pretty sweet regardless.

Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Reactions: fishguy1978

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have 29 gallon with a stainless light hood. Tank has a slate bottom. Still original. Not in use as the slate bottom leaks.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Never heard of a slate bottom tank, do you have any pictures
The early models typically had slate bottoms. Generally speaking if you've got one made from the mid-60's on it probably has a glass bottom. Units mfg'd prior had a really good chance of having a slate bottom. The challenge w/ them is that the assembly method of the time meant they were put together using a mastic and lead blend that cured as a hard (and somewhat brittle) sealant. Most of the older ones that are still in use have had their bottom slate removed and replaced w/ glass. The reason?

Silicone won't reliably stick to slate.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
aldiaz33 aldiaz33 Nice display! Very nice! Reminds me that almost all of these old tanks had the old school backing which was an odd crystaline splatter across the exterior of the rear glass pane. There didn't seem to be too many alternatives at the time but how that nasty splatter ever became popular I'll never know. I've put it on in the day and razor bladed a bunch of that mess off over subsequent years.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I actually have a book somewhere that shows those old setups, the old water myth, the whole nine yards. I looked for it, but since it was a curiosity thing and not a reference it probably is still in the box from the move. It’s a pretty fascinating book, it really made a representation of how far we’ve come. It’s ratty, missing the cover and stuff so it’s like finding an ancient scroll on what not to do!

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store