Starry Night Cichlid questions

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
I was at aquarium adventures in Bolingbrook Illinois today,I noticed they had a mature Starry Night Cichlid in a 700 gallon aquarium.I went into the African Cichlid section to find one,they had a few left for 28 dollars if you sign up in their fish club that is.I was curious on what are people's experience with these lovely looking cichlids.Can they be kept with SA Cichlids at all?Are they tame,semi aggressive,or aggressive towards other fishes?
Thanks

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
Cool thank you,I have been trying to find out some things about these great looking fishes,they had a full grown 10 inch starry night cichlid,with a few other peacocks in the 700 gallon aquarium.I have no issues of taking a picture to show you the set up they have,which looks amazing.I notice they sell the highest at their store 210 gallon fish tanks as low as 1300 dollars with a stand and lights.

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
were can i get a stary night cichlid and would they get along in my sa/ca 180 g tank

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
there are two species of Starry Night Cichlid; Paratilapia Polleni, and Paratilapia Bleekari, the endangered species being the Bleekeri; and i happen to have a Bleekari in my 220 gallon SA/CA tank, and he's been doing fine with them for about 2 months.

Reactions: Noch86

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
Cool then,this gives me a idea,cause the so call expert at the petland,told me I shouldn't mix Africans with SA,but I have told him I already have 4 OB Peacocks with my SA and they are just fine.I am willing to look into one in the near future,when I decide to get a 210 gallon fish tank that I spotted for 1300 dollars.

TheTankMates

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
llama
Go for it! i have kept many Polleni through the years and currently i have a 6inch male who is very tame. He is the king of the tank and is being housed with a Livingstoni trio and a male "fusco"

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
burzumaske20;5019749; said:
Cool then,this gives me a idea,cause the so call expert at the petland,told me I shouldn't mix Africans with SA,but I have told him I already have 4 OB Peacocks with my SA and they are just fine.I am willing to look into one in the near future,when I decide to get a 210 gallon fish tank that I spotted for 1300 dollars.
When I had my polleni I kept it with a mix of Central, South American, and a couple of haps...if I recall correctly all the fish were Florida-bred, so never had any issues with pH as some of the fanatics like to complain about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store