Starting a new poly tank what color of sand

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
depends if you have upper jaws i would do black as most of them can get green. If you have lower jaws i would do red it brings out patterns better on them. I would say black brings out darker colors like green and red brings out patterns. i have PFS right now but can't wait to switch to black so i can see some green on my upper jaws

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
depends if you have upper jaws i would do black as most of them can get green. If you have lower jaws i would do red it brings out patterns better on them. I would say black brings out darker colors like green and red brings out patterns. i have PFS right now but can't wait to switch to black so i can see some green on my upper jaws
+1 on this. I have some Dels on black sand and they are real green! One of the guys here (Mike Sema) has mixed the black and red sand and it looks awesome! My next set up I will do this too!

smoosh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Troy, NY
For those of you suggesting black sand is that the "black diamond" sand or other brands? I currently have pool filter sand in mine and want to switch. Just want to make sure it's safe for my poly's! I know the bass won't mind

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store