Starting my first DIY W/D, suggestions needed and welcome

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Time to let stuff dry, looking more and more like a filter by the minute :headbang2

Should hold 2 gallons of bioballs. Would pot scrubbies work better in the bottom tray? I plan on having them in tray's 2 and 3

DIY WetDry.jpg

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Well, because of a few tank pick ups over the weekend I've decided to change the fish room layout to make room for them. I'm only going to be plumbing 2 of the 20's to the W/D (keeping the other drilled 20 as a backup incase of a tank failure) and adding a 75 and 55 to the room (needed a couple of larger tanks in here)

Anyway here's the new layout, let me know what you think. (click to enlarge)

Thanks!

FR_layout_copy.jpg

Musha

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Frostyone;2202337; said:
Well, because of a few tank pick ups over the weekend I've decided to change the fish room layout to make room for them. I'm only going to be plumbing 2 of the 20's to the W/D (keeping the other drilled 20 as a backup incase of a tank failure) and adding a 75 and 55 to the room (needed a couple of larger tanks in here)

Anyway here's the new layout, let me know what you think. (click to enlarge)

Thanks!

Looking good bro, Im thinking of doing one myself. My bud is selling a six tank system. He has not quoted me a price yet. I will set it up where the 55 and 40 currently are and put those 2 in the room. I will probably use it to grow out the flowerhorns that I dont want and sell them.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
I think the new set up is going to work out great for you. If you use Pot Scrubbies or Bio Balls in the trays you will be ok. I use both and to tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference in the systems with one or the other. If you plumb it right you could run all of the tanks on that wet/dry tower. You may need to get a Rubbermaid tub instead of the tank you have to increase the sump size but I think it could handle them no problem. I have a 4 tank 75 / 70 / 60 / 55 running on a DIY wet/dry with around 8 gal of bio-balls with only 1 AC-110 as a back-up mech filter.
Flex hose is by far the easiest way to go for plumbing IMO and fast to get rid of if configuration changes are needed later on.
Keep us posted and best O luck.

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
Nice setup. I like what you have done with the bio tower. I would add a partion in the sump to keep at least a small amount of water under the bio tower incase you loose water for some reasion. Add bubblers to this area too. If your flow at the overflow is to fast for young fish add a reducer to the 90 and use large pipe. It will not increase the flow of the hole overflow but it will reduce the flow at the overflow and strainer.
Nice

Jamieishard

Fire Eel
Aug 15, 2008
Maryland
your slowly getting closer and closer...lol.

all the millions of baby FH's will appreciate all this work later.....

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Starting up;2205736; said:
Nice setup. I like what you have done with the bio tower. I would add a partion in the sump to keep at least a small amount of water under the bio tower incase you loose water for some reasion. Add bubblers to this area too. If your flow at the overflow is to fast for young fish add a reducer to the 90 and use large pipe. It will not increase the flow of the hole overflow but it will reduce the flow at the overflow and strainer.
Nice
I will be adding a baffle over the weekend just for that purpose, and there will be an airstone under the bio tower, probably some chunks of lava rock too (not 100% on that yet) Now about the reducer thing you're talking about, are you talking about installing that on the overflow intake pipe in the tank (the one with the strainer attached)?

Jamieishard;2205951; said:
your slowly getting closer and closer...lol.

all the millions of baby FH's will appreciate all this work later.....

Thanks Jamie, and they better appreciate all the hard work :D nothing I can't stand more than ungrateful fish :grinno:

sploke

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Lebanon, CT
Looks very similar to the one I built, except mine is in a 40 breeder instead of a 20gal. Its running a 150, a 55 and a 30, and I'll be adding a second 150 as soon as I pick up another overflow box. Mine doesn't have any baffles in it, the water just empties out of the tower into the sump, and the pumps sit on the bottom of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store