Starting my first DIY W/D, suggestions needed and welcome

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
yes if you think it is running to fast enlarge the vertical pipe so there is a larger opening and a larger strainer. Looking good

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Starting up;2209780; said:
yes if you think it is running to fast enlarge the vertical pipe so there is a larger opening and a larger strainer. Looking good
Thanks for the tip!

DISCIPLE

Candiru
MFK Member
wow! frosty nice job! you got me sold for sure. everyone has given you some good input to help you improve it as well . very nice and economical.

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Update time, got the overflow plumbing cut and peiced together, haven't glued it yet, changed a few things due to budget constraints. Should still work well.

As you can see instead of using the 90's out of the overflow bulkhead I switched to T's so I could run a verticle pipe with an open end to cut down on noise and allow air in.

Parts list:
3/4" pipe cuts: 2 x 2", 2 x 3", 2 x 5", 2 x 8.5"
1.25" pipe cuts: 2 x 13"
2 x 3/4 T's
2 x 3/4 ball valves
2 x 3/4 to 1.25" 90's
1 x 1.25" T

All the plumbing parts ran me roughly 25 bucks at Lowes. Still have to determine the length that's going to run from the center T to the W/D.

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Picture 010 (Custom).jpg

Picture 011 (Custom).jpg

Picture 012 (Custom).jpg

Picture 013 (Custom).jpg

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
Another update, built a quick little 10 gallon sump for these two tanks to get em up and running. Just gotta get a pump now.

There's 2 gallons of bio-balls in there, with room for at least one more, although I may go with pot scrubbies on top to act as a bit more mechanical filtration as well as bio.

Going to be a little while before I get the 20 gallon sump up, and really this might just suffice.

Picture 021.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store