Still Don't Understand FX5 Mania?

chengwang114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a fx5 running in my 180 for 4 years and just recently replaced it with eheim 2262. I got it from big als online for $325 after 10% off coupon.

My comparisons:

1. Way noisier than a eheim - the pump sounded as if it was about to explore after a couple years
2. Too much pass through - eheim classic models have zero and do a better job of keeping the waste inside
3. Poorer build quality - screws on the lid were starting to fall off one by one
4. Less flow than advertised

fx5 weights about the same when filled with water.

I also have eheim classic 2217, pro II 2026 and 2028. They are all running as silent as new after 9 full years. Only changed O ring on pro II once. IMO, 2217 is much better than 2026/2028 because of zero pass through in the classic models and simpler parts that are more durable.

I had the same thought when I bought the fx5 to save money since 2262 costs twice as much. Should've gone with eheim 2262 as they will easily last 15 plus years with minimal maintenance.

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
You know since I have posted this I have made some changes to the way it is loaded. It does take getting used to as it's design is unique. There still are things I realy dislike, like the holes down the middle of the trays with nothing to stop the C??? from going right threw but Bio Media or add pads such as I have and put up with having to clean them allot. Lets just say I've come to a truce, It runs well, it moves allot of water, as for filtration lets just say I still have to gravel Vac every waterchange. I have four filters running on this tank and still clean. Then again I havn't ruled out that my design or the way I have them setup could be all wrong? No other person with the level of knowledge required in my opinion to make this judgement has ever seen this tank.

Yes, I still do not have my Eheim sitting here. I am so split with this I'm affraid to mention it. I've just been watching the Eheim folks talk, I would say most are classic all the way? I still havn't read enough on the classic to understand how it loads, to me it must be similiar to the old time HOB's without trays (and I am probably making way more out of the job of cleaning it out then it realy is?)? Thats where I like the Pro Series just load the trays with whatever?

I've been laying low behaving myself:chillpill:. With my current filters time will tell? I realy have no reason to change them unless I have another screw go loose and buy my Eheim;)

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
I've had my FX5 for coming up 5 years now. I also run an Eheim 2080 on the same tank. I've used Eheim since 1985. I'll give my take (as there is no definite absolute answer on this and it's just everyones opinion and nothing else).

I've never had problem with the FX5 being noisy from the pump. Only noise the water flow at the surface of the tank.

After 5 years the only problem has been some of the canister fasteners have bust and need replacing.

I replaced the fluval foam with 30 ppi foam and this made water very clear

The FX5 is a pain to clean. The 2080 is very quick and easy in comparison.

The impeller unit is a pain to get at on the FX5 due to the design-the 2080 is much easier by comparison.

I do really like the fact I can change water so quick with the FX5 by merely changing the outlet. Makes WC so much easier and less laborious.

Overall I've no problems with the day-to-day performance of the FX5. I do hate having to clean it as its such a poor design for doing so, especially the impeller unit/housing. This is where in my opinion there's no comparison with an Eheim. The design of the Eheim is superb I feel.

If I had a choice again I'd probably pay the extra and get an equivalent Eheim simply on the basis of ease of maintenance rather than actual performance (the FX5 does work very well). If the $$$ matter then the FX5 is the right choice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store