Stinger preservation

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Most of you probably have a box of shed stingers. I' m looking for a way to encase a stinger in a clear material (plastic, resin, etc). Has anyone done this before? trying to make a stinger safe for children to handle.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Once they turn white, the venomous sheath has gone, they are harmless. Agree maybe a little sharp but you have to do well to actually do yourself any damage. My young kids, 3 and almost 5 years, have held stingers in the past without concern. I do appreciate your intention to incase one in a resin or similar.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
As Mike says once its white there is no venom, to make sure just boil it first then rub the sharp tip off using medium grade sand paper....then its safe.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Picked up some clear polyester casting resin today. Need to find a nice shaped mold now.
My main concern is the sharpness of the stinger. Not worried about my son, it's the other children. School just started, and I've seen some of his classmates...
Will post a picture if this comes out ok.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
You're gonna post pictures of his dodgy class mates?! Lol!!! ;)

Unfortunately in this world you have to protect everyone from the slightest "what ifs" so you're definitely going the right route by wrapping the sting in resin. Safety first!

Reactions: spotfin

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
My kids have show and tell, I'm still trying to figure out a safe way, for the ray more than the kids, of getting a Hystrix into the school. Rocco would blow his class mates out of the water, excuse the pun :)

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
We actually took some pups in to show my sons 2nd grade class last year. My wife showed all the kids the discarded stingers and let them touch them while I answered questions and had the kids come up in groups to see the rays. We only live 6 blocks from his school so it wasn't a big deal. He felt like a rock star!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Did a test cast yesterday. Came out ok. The smell is horrible, best to do it outside. But I don't suggest doing it under a tree on a windy day.

I used a plastic dish sold in the paint section of the craft store as the mold. The next one will be done witch a mold designed for resin casts. IMG_20150908_221613.jpg IMG_20150908_221727.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store