Stingray Books

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Hi All,

Well after being intrigued by stingrays for a few years I figure it is time to learn more about them.

A little background on me. I keep 100% saltwater tanks and have the last 5-6 years. I have a large SPS reef that has been thriving and now considering another tank.

My wife and I saw our first stingrays (at a pet store) in chicago 2 years ago, they were saltwater bat rays. Thought they were cool, bought Scott Michael's book found out we do not have room for a 10,000 gallon tank so scratched them off the "want" list.

Well last week we were at one of our local shops and I noticed in one of their display tanks that have a medium sized freshwater ray and started the wheels turning once more.

I have read everything online I can find and figure I have not been scared off yet so I want to learn more.

What are some books you would recommend ordering to read? I am looking at getting:

Freshwater Stingrays (Complete Pet Owner's Manuals) by Richard Ross M.D.

Freshwater Stingray: An In-Depth Survey of These Magnificent Fishes (Aquaguide)
by Hans Gonnella, Herbert Axelrod

Any others recommended?

Also what are some rough prices I can expect to pay for the various species of rays here in the US? Like alot of people we like the Leopoldi the best but thinking it would be a good idea to start with a less expensive ray at first.

I have been reading the motoros can get to a meter in diameter but also read these are a good beginner ray. I am shying away from these as I am thinking maximum width for this new tank can be is 30" maybe 36". So I would like suggestions on a colorful smaller ray as well that is well suited for a beginner.

I like alot of people would not oppose breeding them at some point. I currently do a fair amount of marine fish breeding which seems much more in depth then stingrays.

Thanks,
Scott

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
Welcome to mfk!!!

freshwater stingrays re great.. the richard ross book is great info... lots of great info in the stickys at the top of this forum... 8'x3'x2' would be great for a motoro or a 300 gallon 8'x30"x2 would be fine.... motoros would be the best starter and be in the range of 100-500 depending on local and quality peru being cheapest to columbian marbleds being the nicest more expensive... lots of great vendors for wild or captive rays on here.... good luck to you

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Nic;1380075; said:
Welcome to mfk!!!

freshwater stingrays re great.. the richard ross book is great info... lots of great info in the stickys at the top of this forum... 8'x3'x2' would be great for a motoro or a 300 gallon 8'x30"x2 would be fine.... motoros would be the best starter and be in the range of 100-500 depending on local and quality peru being cheapest to columbian marbleds being the nicest more expensive... lots of great vendors for wild or captive rays on here.... good luck to you
:iagree:

Welcome to MFK!

A 36" wide tank will be great for Motoros for a very long time.. females might reach that size after a long period, but not as likely in that size tank.. There are other species of rays that stay smaller, but they are harder to find these days with Brazilian export closure of rays.. What used to be common species can run you $300-500+.. Black rays, three times that..

The books you found are great ones, we often suggest here on MFK.. There are a few others out there, but all of the information is similar. Breeding them isn't as tricky as it would seem, they are livebearers and just need a large tank, clean water, and lots of quality food.

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I will get a copy of those books on order.

Then will be deciding where we can fit a large tank that will not interfer with the other two large tanks :)

Scott

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
If you're a reefkeeper, the transition should be easy for you.. Just get the biggest footprint you can allow, and get a nice overflow system that turns over alot of GPH. Get the biggest volume sump you can fit, and hook up an 'overdone' wet/dry filter.. Could probably due a classic veggie filter too if you wanted. Keep in mind stingrays have an immense bio-load and produce alot of nitrates so be ready to change water. :)

Good luck fitting that tank in there! :D How bout pix? :)

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Once we get further we will get some pix. It is all just an idea at this time.

My reef systems get weekly water changes where my clownfish babies get water changes every 3rd day so I have lots of practice at this...

I am very interested by stingrays just have too see if I truely have the space for them. Our basement is set up around our reef tanks and a pool table. We are putting in a bar and I am trying to fit the stingrays in with this somehow...

potamotrygon

Bobbie
MFK Member
Nic;1380075; said:
Welcome to mfk!!!

hey mate,

where can i find that book online ? i want to buy it also

thanks !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store