Stingray Curious...

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
That shouldn't be a problem... You could put some driftwood suspended from the tank bracing for the angels to congregate around, leaving the bottom open. Here's a pic of my tank when I first set it up. I have some fake plants now, but still plenty of room for 2 rays to get around.

fts2.jpg

fts2.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
That shouldn't be a problem... You could put some driftwood suspended from the tank bracing for the angels to congregate around, leaving the bottom open. Here's a pic of my tank when I first set it up. I have some fake plants now, but still plenty of room for 2 rays to get around.

View attachment 987608
I agree with Dx on this... give the angels something to hang aroun/spawn on off the ground. the only problem i could see is if the angels spawn near the bottom and bite the ray to keep him out of there territory.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Hmmm... your giving me an idea... I wonder if I can somehow dangle some plastic plants from the brace and make it look good? I'll have to experiment with that. If not, I like the wood look as well though! Thanks for those pics! That is a great idea!

EDIT:

Just had an epiphany! LOL... I'll attach branches as shown, perhaps using zip ties, then attach some live anubias plants to several of the branches! They should appreciate being somewhat close to the light!

-Rich

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Hmmm... your giving me an idea... I wonder if I can somehow dangle some plastic plants from the brace and make it look good? I'll have to experiment with that. If not, I like the wood look as well though! Thanks for those pics! That is a great idea!

-Rich
If you go with the wood, you could attach some anubias or java fern to it.. if you want go platic plants zoo med makes a line of "reptile" plants that come with suction cups. I use them in my panda uaru tank because they eat everything else.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
If you go with the wood, you could attach some anubias or java fern to it.. if you want go platic plants zoo med makes a line of "reptile" plants that come with suction cups. I use them in my panda uaru tank because they eat everything else.
HA HA! Had my "epiphany" same time as you were suggesting it! LOL... and maybe I'll use both! Be nice to maybe drape some of that plastic hanging plant on the back glass... I'm liking how I'm picturing this in my mind, anyway! LOL...

-Rich

Anthony070

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Netherlands
I have angels, oscars, birchirs, a datnoid, flagtail, pike characins, acara pulchers, and a bgk in the tank with my 2 reticulated ray pups. They all get along great :). I also have the wood hanging. And instead of fake plants I used real floating plants (Ceratophyllum demersum). This also helps to keep the nitrates down. Here is a pic of my setup, which may inspire you:

20140206_171857.jpg

20140206_171857.jpg

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Sounds like you're on the right path. I use long zip ties to hold the wood up. Had to drill a hole in them which was difficult with manzanita.

My angels only spawned a handful of times, but they were never very aggressive. Especially compared to geos, who open up their mouth and scoot the rays away, pretty funny to watch actually.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
dxdx and Anthony,

What size tanks are those? Just trying to get a sense of the scale. Thanks for all the input... think this is going to turn out pretty cool...

-Rich

Anthony070

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2013
Netherlands
Hey Rich,
My tank is a 180g, 6x2x2. I'll eventually have to upgrade once my rays grow up.
I also think your tank is going to turn out cool. The advantage of having everything off the bottom is also that tank maintainance is a piece of cake. No food can get lost under wood/rocks/etc and cause ammonia spikes.
I always feed my fish on the left side of the tank, so no food can get stuck under the rocks on the right either :p
Good luck with your endeavors, it is nice to see someone taking their time to think about everything and do everything right.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
my tank is a 300 wide, 96"x30"x24".

Pretty much agree with what Anthony said, especially about the bottom of the tank. I do have a couple large river stones and plants but they are located to be in the current plus with rays (and geos) the bottom should get stirred up adequately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store