Stingray Feeding

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
So no worries about contamination?

Or what they are feeding the worms or using as bedding?

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If it's fast growth you want nothing beats pellets that's a FACT

I have been watching carefully over the last 4 years with datnods and rays

A ray or dat that takes pellets will outgrow one that only takes seafoods by a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
What Im mainly interested in now, is can I get worms from a bait shop or from walmart etc?

Thanks

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
What Im mainly interested in now, is can I get worms from a bait shop or from walmart etc?

Thanks
I posted 2 links above where you can get worms from. But yes, you can get them from your local bait shop or walmart as well.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've been feeding my fish worms from this shop for 4 years, no issues yet. Just started purging them about 2 years back. I'm sure they swallow tons of dirt, sand, debris in the wild so probably not a huge concern. I just know worm castings are full of nitrogen (use them in my gardens) so I prefer to rinse and purge to stop excess nitrogen ending up in my tanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I posted 2 links above where you can get worms from. But yes, you can get them from your local bait shop or walmart as well.
One poster made it seem as if there were concerns with the worm source. I got some night crawlers that I chopped up and he gobbled up some of them. Every fish in the tank liked it.

Found a guy on ebay from Chicago selling 250 red worms for $15 shipped - so Im going to go through him next I think!

I've been feeding my fish worms from this shop for 4 years, no issues yet. Just started purging them about 2 years back. I'm sure they swallow tons of dirt, sand, debris in the wild so probably not a huge concern. I just know worm castings are full of nitrogen (use them in my gardens) so I prefer to rinse and purge to stop excess nitrogen ending up in my tanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good deal - I tried your method tonight. Think I rushed it a little, but they did produce a lot of waste.

In the end I chopped them up so I just swirled the chopped pieces in cold water until they went clean.

Hoping now based on advice that having purged redworms on hand I can feed my ray every time he comes to the top of the tank telling me that he is hungry. Along with a planned feeding of worms in the morning and night with a noon feeding of my custom gel food.

Planning on taking two days off per week to do water changes.

I really appreciate the help guys, and Im sure my ray does too!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My best advice is get him off worms and onto other foods. I mean if you find them cheap and want to buy tons and feed a couple dozen at a time when your ray gets older that is fine but I think you will find that feeding your ray shrimp and tilapia and pellets and worms will be much easier. Just my opinion but if you are feeding your ray every time it wants to eat you will be throwing food in the tank all day long. But with that you need to find what works for you. Myself I feed once a day but if you want to feed 3 or more times a day that is fine I unfortunately can't be home that often and still have other stuff to do always. If you do feed that often you need to manage your rays food intake very well and make sure you are not overfeeding your stingray all the time. I see a ray as a dog, some of them you can fill the food bowl up all the way and they will eat as they need. But others will eat the whole bowl and soon after ask for more and keep eating because of opportunity vs need. Happy stingray feeding.

Hoping now based on advice that having purged redworms on hand I can feed my ray every time he comes to the top of the tank telling me that he is hungry. Along with a planned feeding of worms in the morning and night with a noon feeding of my custom gel food.

Planning on taking two days off per week to do water changes.

I really appreciate the help guys, and Im sure my ray does too!

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Makes sense.

So if they are never satiated how do you know when to stop feeding them? Especially when so many ray keepers say to feed multiple times per day?

Thanks for the info, also PM sent.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Mine kinda just decide when they're done they won't eat anymore I learned to gauge based on them like mine eat more during their evening feeding than the morning u learn to know your rays

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store