Stingray ID help !!

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
Hi I bought my first freshwater ray pup recently,it's been eating fine from day one and I weaned him off ghost shrimp ( which he was fed exclusively at my lfs ) onto market prawn. So eating is not a problem.
But the thing is my lfs sold him as a motoro ,but he doesn't have a typical motoro pattern,his pattern looks different ,so it would be great if expert ray keepers can help me iD him.

Here's a image of a ray i found on the internet
My ray looks just like the one in the image (the image is not mine ,i just found it on internet while trying to Id mine). I will post a pic of my ray once I get home.

Also i have hikari carnivore pellets and i want to make him eat it, so far I have very little luck ,he takes the pellet in mouth tastes it and spits out but he doesn't eat it.
So any trick make him eat pellets is appreciated too.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Did you have any pic of your ray? The one in the pic looks mantilla to me

Reactions: Matteus

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
Sorry i couldn't upload pic earlier got caught up with work.Here's a pic of mine.
Also does he look fat or should i feed more often ? Thank you in advance.

IMG_20191110_022505.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sorry i couldn't upload pic earlier got caught up with work.Here's a pic of mine.
Also does he look fat or should i feed more often ? Thank you in advance.

View attachment 1394538
Thats an mantilla. Ive got a female growing up myself.

You can feed him more. Variety is the key to an healthy ray. Frozen foods and pellets.

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
Thats an mantilla. Ive got a female growing up myself.

You can feed him more. Variety is the key to an healthy ray. Frozen foods and pellets.
Thank you for the ID
Can you post a pic of your female? And how large do mantilla rays get ? Mines a male i think ( he's got two tiny pointy things on his pectoral fins)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thank you for the ID
Can you post a pic of your female? And how large do mantilla rays get ? Mines a male i think ( he's got two tiny pointy things on his pectoral fins)
Mantillas can grow quite large.
If its got two claspers then its an male yes.

Here is a pic of my little female. Aprox 16cm over its disc atm.

20191029_193544.jpg

Reactions: Matteus

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
Mantillas can grow quite large.
If its got two claspers then its an male yes.

Here is a pic of my little female. Aprox 16cm over its disc atm.

View attachment 1394539
Wow those are some nice and healthy looking rays.
mine looks skinny in comparison to your rays ? , got mine to eat hikari pellets today hopefully he will put on more weight.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Wow those are some nice and healthy looking rays.
mine looks skinny in comparison to your rays ? , got mine to eat hikari pellets today hopefully he will put on more weight.
Haha on that pic i think they looked skinny??

Reactions: raja

raja

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2013
chennai
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb.

i visited my lfs again and he had a ray just like mine ,only this time it was mentioned as a motoroXmantilla hybrid ray and was selling for double the price of mine .
I bought mine for 3500INR (about 50USD) and the hybrid ray is selling for 7000INR( 100USD Approx).

I'm wondering if mine is a hybrid too ?

Also is there any fish apart from tinfoil barbs that will eat ray ? poop. My ray is trying to cover the bottom of the tank with its poo?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Just vacuum the ray poo out... it's much easier long run considering the water changes that rays require

Reactions: raja
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store