Stingray in 180

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
hey guys, I just picked up a 180 gallon that was previously saltwater, but i’m going to deep clean and get it up and running in a few months. I’m wanting to get a stingray and have been doing research and will continues to research until I get it. I’ve found the 2 possible species I could get would be either a hystrix or retic. Which species would be best for my tank and being that I’ve never kept rays before? Would a 180 be big enough to house one for life? If not, how long? It has dual corner overflows so that may reduce footprint space. Other tank mates will include upper jaw species of bichir, and a black ghost knife. Would appreciate all the advice I could get. Thanks!

Last edited:

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
hey guys, I just picked up a 180 gallon that was previously saltwater, but i’m going to deep clean and get it up and running in a few months. I’m wanting to get a stingray and have been doing research and will continues to research until I get it. I’ve found the 2 possible species I could get would be either a hystrix or retic. Would a 180 be big enough to house one for life? If not, how long? It has dual corner overflows so that may reduce footprint space. Other tank mates will include upper jaw species of bichir, and a black ghost knife. Would appreciate all the advice I could get. Thanks!
Note: I already have the bichirs and bgk growing out in a custom tank I just built myself.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hey guys, I just picked up a 180 gallon that was previously saltwater, but i’m going to deep clean and get it up and running in a few months. I’m wanting to get a stingray and have been doing research and will continues to research until I get it. I’ve found the 2 possible species I could get would be either a hystrix or retic. Which species would be best for my tank and being that I’ve never kept rays before? Would a 180 be big enough to house one for life? If not, how long? It has dual corner overflows so that may reduce footprint space. Other tank mates will include upper jaw species of bichir, and a black ghost knife. Would appreciate all the advice I could get. Thanks!

Hystrix would be my personal choice for a 180 gallon.

Reactions: Davidiator

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hystrix would be my personal choice for a 180 gallon.
thanks for the reply, do you think it would be okay for life? upgrading down the road shouldn’t be too big of a problem if need be, but would just like to be sure.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
thanks for the reply, do you think it would be okay for life? upgrading down the road shouldn’t be too big of a problem if need be, but would just like to be sure.

Yes for life but allow plenty of space at the bottom for the Ray.

Reactions: etkelly22

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
thank you, does anyone else have any input or suggestions/tips? they’re greatly appreciated!

Reactions: tlindsey

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
thank you, does anyone else have any input or suggestions/tips? they’re greatly appreciated!
The bichers will likely be an issue with rays. I’ve never personally kept the combo but have read enough to know it’s not for me. Agreed with tlindsey tlindsey with hystrix (wallacei) over retics.

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
The bichers will likely be an issue with rays. I’ve never personally kept the combo but have read enough to know it’s not for me. Agreed with tlindsey tlindsey with hystrix (wallacei) over retics.
yeah i’ve heard of the instances where they don’t work out, but the majority seem to be with some of the bigger species of lower jaws like endlis, etc.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
yeah i’ve heard of the instances where they don’t work out, but the majority seem to be with some of the bigger species of lower jaws like endlis, etc.
Admittedly I have zero experience with polys. It may work but the size of the tank may decide how well or not. Keep an eye on everyone. I still count geos daily haha

Reactions: tlindsey

etkelly22

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Admittedly I have zero experience with polys. It may work but the size of the tank may decide how well or not. Keep an eye on everyone. I still count geos daily haha
They’re a great fish to keep, I love them! But yeah I will be closely monitoring the tank for any arising problems. Thanks again for the input!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store