Stingray Permit in Florida???

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
They'd still need a permit to have them, and the State won't issue one for that.
FL has so many invasives, and it's getting worse. They aren't about to let something slip through that will add to the problem.

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Yea, at the moment I am not aware of a loop hole to get my fish down ear. It is the reality of the situation I guess. man that stinks, its like letting my dogs stay in Jersey!

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
It sucks that people release their pets into the wild cat, dogs, fish, or otherwise. I just wonder why no states tried to ban cats or dogs, I can tell you for sure there are packs of "wild" dogs in the Detroit area.

If you want to be mad at anyone blame the people who dumped all those fish into the canals not the state of Florida :(

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
Sucks you can't bring your rays with you but I feel for you even more for the fact that you moved to Florida.... Sorry. :(

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
ha ha I love it down hear so far, well I dont like the idea that I cant bring my rays but other than that its not so bad. At first I thought it would be a good idea if the state were to have a permit that you had to pay yearly for or something but as i thought about it I jsut figured shops would disregard the permit like they do with many reptiles and it would be pointless. I just have a hard time understanding how it is that rays are on the list and not other fish or animals. When i talked to florida fish and wildlife, i asked why they were restriced and i was simply told that they are not currently in the water ways and they want to keep it that way. I understand that but that could be said for most anything from fish to lizards to dogs. I would think that rays would not be such a large concern being that they have small liter sizes and such. I feel like they were restricted more on the premise that they are a "stingray," than a legit threat... but then again that is just speculation.

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
You could always get some Florida rays. We used to accidentally catch those things in cast nets while getting bate for fishing off the dock all the time off the Banana River in Melbourne Beach.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I understand Florida is over run with invasive species of all types. Having said that I would also think the chances of someone letting go a black diamond worth at least 2k are about nil ! There should be a way for responsible owners to keep any species they want. Too bad that's a pipe dream.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
I understand Florida is over run with invasive species of all types. Having said that I would also think the chances of someone letting go a black diamond worth at least 2k are about nil ! There should be a way for responsible owners to keep any species they want. Too bad that's a pipe dream.
A responsible owner can't prevent a flood from exposing the person's fishtank to native bodies of water under extenuating circumstances. Florida's ecosystem can readily support tropical fish species as shown by the populations currently thriving there. Also, you'd be surprised what some people would do if given the opportunity.

If they were legal, I can almost guarantee there would be tons of wealthy people in Miami building stingray ponds in their backyards. It would be on HGTV every weekend.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I cant see how they have the resources to track down a guy with a fish he wasnt suppose to have(?). Here in Norway reptiles are illegal, but still there is many hundred thousands of them. I even were a member on a pretty visible reptile page,they police dont have the time to catch small crimes like that.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Oh they do, trust me ;)

It's different to a 'keeper' like we are here. None of us would do it. That being said, the average person would just dump, or if something happend (flood, tank damage etc...) the rays would be at risk of getting loose. Rays would breed like rabbits in FL waters. I knwo it doesn't seem like that to private ray keepers... but (as an example) one facility I worked at had so many ray pups we were feeding them out as enrichment for some of the bigger predatory fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store