Stingray quarantine help

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I plan to buy a hystrix in the near future and wanted to know if I could quarantine the ray in a sandbox (a new one from toys R us) for about a week? If I could run a powerhead as a small source of filtration and just do 50% water changes from my 150gl (where he will reside after quarantine is over) to the small sandbox everyday?
The reason I'm asking is cause I don't want to put the ray in a 60gl with a Gold Saum GT for the precess.

ray will prob be about 6" I'm guessing
Feed back please!!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
post this in the stingray section you will get better answers..

i would not use a powerhead, but use a real established filter.. rays create massive amounts of ammonia and you need good biological filter if you aren't going to be working with alot of water volume..

Why change water from the 150g? it will be dirty, too.. just do tap water changes, unless your tap water is bad..

please don't put the ray in with cichlids.. why not get rid of the Saum? they are a dime a dozen..

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Miles;1335992; said:
post this in the stingray section you will get better answers..

i would not use a powerhead, but use a real established filter.. rays create massive amounts of ammonia and you need good biological filter if you aren't going to be working with alot of water volume..

Why change water from the 150g? it will be dirty, too.. just do tap water changes, unless your tap water is bad..

please don't put the ray in with cichlids.. why not get rid of the Saum? they are a dime a dozen..
No,no. I am not going to put my ray with any cichlid. I was just saying that was my last option if this idea will not work.
Thanks

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Are you thinking of filtering the sandbox? I know your using powerheads, but are they cycled already? If anything I would add the water from the tank to the sandbox and then in a week just transfer the fish to the tank you are putting it into.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Okay, this was my Idea.
Buy a sand box and clean it with just water several times.
aclimate the ray in the sandbox with some of my water that he will be going in to.
Adding a powerhead that I have been using in my 150 for some type of filter.
Doing water changes everyday of about 50% to keep the little bit of water in good cond.
After 1 week (or how ever long it takes) transfer him to the 150.

2nd option... Was to put the GT in my 150 and leave the ray in the 60gl (the only thing is it is a built in filter and I dont think its a good filter) until its time. The prob with that, I dont want to mix up my Gar with a 5" GT. I can just see myself adding water to the Gar as I place him in the freezer for a broken back.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Are you treating him for something ? Why the QT?

Try to acclimate it directly to the 150g, less moves and transfers means less stress, more success..

I still think you should ditch the GT :p the 60g would make a great QT tank!

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I would love to do so, I just wanted to be aver cautious about putting a wild ray (I'm assuming wild) in a tank with my fish that are parasite free. I've been reading about rays and have come across that they could have internal parasites and other stuff from the wild or just from shipping, etc...

I just would like to treat the ray, so I know when he goes in the tank that there will be no problems and can't pass any either

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I would put it directly into the 150..

if the ray is eating and not putting on weight, give the entire tank a PraziPro bath.. this will treat the other fish, too..

After the ray is eating and acclimated for a few months, feed everything in the tank earthworms injected with PraziPro, it would be a good preventative measure.

You would be causing more stress to the ray with your sandbox/small tank idea.. It would be better just to get him in the big tank right away, lights off, no stress, and get him eating black worms until he will accept earthworms, then treat.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Fair enough! I knew MFK would come threw. Thanks Miles and everyone else who helped.

I just want to be ready than panic when I get him. How long should I feed them PraziPro for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store