Stingrays restricted in FL, anyone know a way around it?

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
My wife wants to move to florida which is cool, but they have freshwater rays set as restricted which means by permit. Three ways it says, commercial, public viewing, or research. Anyone know how I can reasonably meet the requirements to get a permit? Anyone know what the consequences of having rays without a permit?

Thanks, I don't want to think about a world without rays.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Chances of permit: zero
Consequences: big fine, animals taken away and another step towards getting rays banned in other states.
Alternative: Dasyatis sabina

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
My wife wants to move to florida which is cool, but they have freshwater rays set as restricted which means by permit. Three ways it says, commercial, public viewing, or research. Anyone know how I can reasonably meet the requirements to get a permit? Anyone know what the consequences of having rays without a permit?

Thanks, I don't want to think about a world without rays.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Sorry to hear that, thats too bad. Im sure youll find away around it, there are a ton of intelligent ray keepers on here!

#1 S. Vettel

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
geta new wife? jk jk.... why i encourage my husband to stay in wi.... not much is illegal here.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
There is NO WAY to get them into the state legally as a hobbiest. End of story.
Even public aquariums don't bother getting the permits here (for the most part) due to all the legal hoops they have to jump through.
(Spoken as a FW ray guy and as a public aquarium permit guy in the state of FL.)

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
Chances of permit: zero
Consequences: big fine, animals taken away and another step towards getting rays banned in other states.
Alternative: Dasyatis sabina
interestingly im sure i read somewhere a while back about a guy claiming that there is a population of these that live in a river thats completely FW so may be something to look into.

before anyone calls BS im 99% sure thats what i read!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Oh yes, there is a FW population. The thing that needs to be understood is that in order to live in FW, they excrete exponential amounts of urea/ammonia to stay in fresh. That being said, you are looking at 10 or 15 times the volume you'd typically need to offset 1 animal's waste.

Typically they die after about 6-9 months in FW captive settings. They do best if converted to saltwater.

And when looking at your budget, it's often cheaper just to do a marine set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store