Stinkbugs

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
In my area of the country, there seems to be an invasion of stinkbugs. I hate 'em. They get into your house and hide in cracks and crevaces and so forth (not to mention the stink when you kill them) Well,not too long ago, I was feeding my Oscars, and a stinkbug flew into the tank. One of the Oscars got to it before I could scoop it out, and he seemed to enjoy the fresh meal. So I watched him for a few days to see if there would be any ill effects, and noticed nothing. So, knowing that Oscars love insects, I thought to myself that it would be ok to feed then stinkbugs whenever I found on in the house and save a little money on fish food.

About a week later, on a warm day, there were several that had made their way into my house, so I thought to myself, great! Dinner time for Buddy and Jeff! I fed them 4 of the critters, and they were extatic! About 10 minutes after, I was smelling that stinkbug odor, and wasn't sure where was coming from, so I thought I would check out the aquarium (seemed logical). I opened the lid to the aquarium, and about fell out from the smell!

I immediately did a 60% water change, and a filter pad change to get the funk out of the tank, and that cleared the smell up. It's been about 2 or 3 weeks since then all of my fish are doing well. No more stinkbugs for my Oscars...

Petrella88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
Chicago
You should avoid letting your fish dine on wild insects because they could have dangerous pesticides on them

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I've been feeding my cichlids stray Box Elder Beetles. Now that its winter up here, they've invaded my house, and I only spray pesticide in the spring, usually around the foundation of the house. Not real worried about any pesticide left over from that long ago.

My fish don't seem to be suffering any I'll effects that I can tell...

Unless... Could insects transmit internal parasites?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pmitchjr

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NJ
my oscar loves dubia roaches.. I breed them for my green tree monitor and he gets a treat occasionally : )

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
We get those things up here too. They get into everything when they are swarming trying to find warm places to winter over. I've had a couple end up in the tank and eaten by my chocolate cichlids. I noticed no ill effects either. I wouldn't have feed them on purpose but they were no worse for the experiance. I didn't notice any odor but it was only one at a time about 2 weeks apart back in early October. I have no idea if they ate any when I wasn't around but if I saw it twice the chances are good they did. 4 at once might have been too much to overcome the oder. Probibly best avoided if possibile, they do smell like hell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store