Stocking 60 gallon cube

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I’m looking to set up a planted 60 gallon cube and looking at putting some dwarf cichlids like 3-4 Bolivian rams,3-4 key holes, and 3 angels. I’m also open to apistos, Cupids and acaras. Which combo would work best?
I highly recommend the angelfish for that kind of tank, the rams would also be good. I don't know much about keyholes, but they could probably work too.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That dimension I personally would choose one group of smaller cichlids. Either a harem of apistogramma or a group of Bolivian Rams. Apistogramma despite their size are aggressive when they spawn like the Convict Cichlid from my experience with them. The height of the aquarium would be fit for Angelfish pair but personally would want them to have more space length wise.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
But before you decide, An important factor to consider is, .......what type of water do you have?
Rams, and many Apistogramma need soft, low pH (7 or below), mineral poor water to thrive.
There is an opinion rumbling around out there, that Rams are often genetically weak,
but I believe its that if put in environmentally, unfriendly water conditions, that is the reason many aquarists fail with them.
If the soft, low pH is what you have, the harems tlindsey suggested are perfect. But if you don't......

If the tap water you have is hard, mineral rich, higher pH water (7.5 and above) you might want to consider a cichlid species that thrive in those liquid rock conditions, instead of going against the grain, and starting with that type handicap.

Reactions: tlindsey

Newtrybe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
I agree Angel fish would be good. Ive done a Colony of 1 male and 3 females. he would take turns every week. he was a busy guy

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store