Stocking a 150g (5x2x2)

Frosties111

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2017
Hi guys, I currently have a 55g but I am looking to get a new 150g 5x2x2, looking to stock American cichlids so any stocking ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Do you want a community? or a pair? or maybe a colony of same species?
Communities are do-able in a 150, but much more difficult to successfully pull off than the other options. A pair of a large tank-busting species like A. Trimaculatus would be very cool in this size tank. Or a colony of cichlids of the same species, like maybe having 7x Nicaraguan cichlids with a bunch of swordtails, would be a beautiful display

Reactions: dr exum

Frosties111

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2017
Gourami, I do love the sound of a Nicaragua colony tank, are these going to be the best cichlids for a colony or what other options would I have that will allow for dithers etc.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Central American eartheaters are great in groups with livebearers as are Rheoheros lentinginosus.
Oscura heterospilus would work if you only had one male.
Lots of the smaller cryptoheros species work well in harems too.
All these fish would work well with livebearers like xiphophorus or poecilla.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
There are also lots of south American that would work well in same species groups.
Geophagus
Mesanauta
Heros
Biotadoma
Pterophyllum
All the above contain species suitable.
They can all be accompanied by tetras of the appropriate size and or many catfish species would also work.

Frosties111

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2017
Do you think some vieja could work well in a 150? I was thinking a few different species could look nice but not sure if multiple could co exist and if so how many could comfortably be there?

Zanson

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2017
Just throwing this out there if you like central/south American, 4-5 severums (heros) in a 150 would be cool as well. I have 4 in a 120 with rummy nose tetra and Congo tetra. Especially the red spot gold's, they are just beautiful.

Then again, I am extremely biased here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store