Stocking a 55g planted tank

richard yung

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
What do you guys think of the setup? Currently using an aqua clear 110 as filter.

It's 3 weeks in on cycling but I think it's done now cause I used an old sponge filter from my 180 and old filter media.

I want discus, anyone have any thoughts?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

richard yung

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
It looks like you have the Finnex stingray. With that light you should only Plant low light plants. Looks good to me.
thanks for the advice, in my tank i have 2x hair grass, 2x amazon swords, 1x spiralis, 1x java fern.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I would go with 3 Discus, a school of 10-15 Cardinal Tetras, a school of 5 Corydora catfish, and 2 True Siamese Algae Eaters if it were my tank.
I'm not a discus expert, but wouldn't that setup be too stressful for the 3 discus? Especially in a 55 gallon?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I would remove the two pipe things at the front left, they make it look unnatural imo. The substrate contrast is cool

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I'm not a discus expert, but wouldn't that setup be too stressful for the 3 discus? Especially in a 55 gallon?
Discus are a schooling species of Cichlid, a 55 gallon tank is a good setup for new Discus; This is because 90% of Discus owners get them as juveniles which would make sense for a 55 gallon tank. Discus only tend to reach 6" max in size in home aquaria, which leads back to my earlier comment.

You can actually fit 4 fully grown 6" adult Discus in a 55 gallon tank, and the only stress that's normally created to Discus in a non agressive tank are water changes, re-arranging the tank, and during spawning.

"I would go with 3 Discus, a school of 10-15 Cardinal Tetras, a school of 5 Corydora catfish, and 2 True Siamese Algae Eaters if it were my tank."

In this scenario ^, Cardinal Tetras are only interested in themselves and are too small to harass Discus, Corydora catfish are only interested in finding food at the bottom of the tank and darting to the top of the tank because they have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath atmospheric oxygen. In fact, they must have access to oxygen from both the air and from the water (they also have gills) or they won't survive. Although corydoras are bottom dwellers you will frequently see them come to the surface for a gulp of air.

True Siamese algae eaters are mainly focused on trying to find food like algae or left over food from feedings, they tend to harass themselves when there's more than 1 in a tank, it's more of a play harassing sort of like say 2 puppies play fighting.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I thought discus are recommended more in groups of 5 or more? Regardless, just keep in mind to keep the water pristine with discus if you want to see good growth and shape and all that out of them. A lot of people don't recommend keeping them in planted tanks until they are already fully grown because of how difficult it is to 100% keep a planted tank clean with all the nooks and crannies they have that trap food particles and bacteria and all that jazz.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store