Stocking and compatibility questions

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
Hello,

I have a 200l tank(55g) with 1 Platydoras costatus and 2 Panaque maccus, all 11-12years old now. I would like to add a cichlid or 2-3 that won't harm the existing fish the least bit and that have lots of character/owner responsiveness. I have decided to go with an Archocentrus multispinosus which seems to fit everything on my list and I have ordered it. I also may add a pair of L183 Ancistrus and certainly 1-2 more Panaque maccus when I find them.
Do you think I can add a Blue Acara or would that be asking for trouble in terms of behavior or stocking? I actually want the least stocking that will still look attractive and have me the catfish I like, so that plants can contribute significantly to water quality in addition to the water changes. I have found a fully grown specimen that seems quite peaceful but can't know for sure
What are other very peaceful and very colorful AND owner responsive possible choices?
The tank has lots of driftwood and is planted.

Thank you very much in advance!

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
most cichlids don't really bother bottom dwelling fish like cats and plecos because they usually stay out of the way, I'd try a blue acara with the fish you listed. I had one awhile back and it wasn't vert aggressive at all and never bothered my pleco. I'm not sure about the plants though, a lot of cichlids like to destroy plants

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I had an Oscar that would pound my sailfin and never leave a scratch...my point is, plecos of almost every persuasion are armored and tougher then most people know. Having said that, with rambunctious cichlids(character) you may not see aggressiveness toward the bottom dwellers, but your bottom dwellers may hide....even during feeding time...
My sailfin actually got to be about 5" bigger than the Oscar which was a good 13-14" and started retaliating under the attacks to the point where my Oscar would live on one side and the sailfin on the other.
My sailfin died unfortuanatly and when I took it out of the tank I was amazed at how rough and boney it was...tough fish.

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
Thank you very much for your replies!
I would prefer not to have any aggression towards the catfish. I know their skin is tough but fins are easily damaged, as are whiskers. The most I want to see is a slight non-aggressive push to get them out of the way. No chasing or biting.
From what I have seen with past cichlids kept(Microgeophagus altispinosa, Microgeophagus ramirezi, Apistogramma agassizi breeding pair), the catfish get bolder as long as they are not attacked. Because cichlids are fast to eat the food, they make them work more for their food and be there during feeding time, bold and about to eat first rather than wait when the lights will go out. Microgeophagus altispinosa was very good natured. With the others I wasn't fully happy when spawning but when not, they were good as well.

It's great to hear the Blue Acara should be ok. The blue Acara I have in mind is in the same tank with salvini and convict but fights with none. The tank has excessive current though and both salvini and blue Acara seem to avoid the convict. Any way to know more on its character before actually putting it in my tank?

The plants are mainly Anubia, Vallisneria, Micrososum and will be adding Aponigeton, Cryptocoryne and Echinodorous. Would the Blue Acara uproot these? The Archocentrus multispinosus supposedly likes a planted, heavily decorated tank and if fed his greenery, won't eat them nor uproot them

Thank you very much in advance!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Blue Acara's are generally great, well behaved; tend to take care of aggressors and maintain order in tanks lol

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
Would it do well with Archocentrus multispinosus in my the 200l tank without annoying the Platydoras or Panaque maccus? There is plenty of cover from plants and wood but it would be no good if they would fight over it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store