6 kaudern cardinals
Some blennies or gobies
and some other reef friendly fish

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
do i need to a protein skimmer to have a reed tank? i get really pissed off with those things i have one but dont want to set it up.... if i cant do the Clowns then am going off for a heard of Dwarf SeaHorses, 6 or 12? or some pygmy seahorses

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
just as a side note, chromis as someone stated are most likely to school, but you can have 10 clowns if they are all added as juviniles, it will just mean that some will stay "juvinile" as soon as one asserts its dominance over the others. At least I'm like 90% sure I read the articel about that a wile back haha I'll see if I can find it.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
it's about a 50/50 guess as to what will happen. generally what i've seen though is 2 will pair off and then harass the others to death until only those 2 remain.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I introdeced two small false percula, which are probably the least aggresive out of all the clown varieties. They did stay together for a little bit, but after a couple of days the split up and now have their own "territories" it the caves of the live rock.

Just seems like it would be a lot of work to try and get them to school and keep passive.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
When you introduce clowns in my experiene you want to get the smallest clowns you can. Some clowns can change sex more than once, other ones once they become the dominant fish, change and will never change back, hence the harassment.

A small one (less likely to have been dominant) should be introduced, let it grow and become the dominant fish, and then add one that is still small. There you go. Bingo bango bongo. Fish pair.

Chromis will school, but I think they look terrible. I had them in a reef and finally got so sick of it we tore the tank down. They will also need a large fish in the system to "keep them in school" if you know what I mean.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
LOL poor chromis, the only ones I like are bluegreens, the others not so much, you can add more then one clown at once, just best to add them as juvies then one will be more dominant turn into a female and the other will be male.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
shua71;4261161; said:
Some people have had it work but its pretty rare.. Theres a thread on reefcentral about a guy who housed 27 clowns in a tank and it worked out for him. I'm not sure if it would really be worth the headache. Best of luck!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259398
Yea but if you read that entire thread the 27 clowns are offspring from a mated pair and have been in the tank since birth, and it is still risky. Yes if you buy them small the larger ones will become female and pair off then defend their territory, so with a large enough tank with enough LR and caves it is very possible. After the fish pair off you may have a few that do not and will get harassed to death so it would be best to move them if that happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store