Stocking suggestions?

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
Recently set up tank, around 200 gallons with a 3 foot by 4 foot print with approximately 50 gallon sump. Right now I have one "snook" Petenia splendida (about 4 inches), and 6 Geophagus Tapajos, red heads (prob 2 inces each). Tank is pretty much cycled. I am interested in south and central american cichlids. I am thinking about some of the less aggressive cichlids. Maybe 5 or 6 red severums next. What do you guys think about some Viejas? Amphilophus probably too agressive I would think. Will Geophagus cross breed? If not I would like to maybe throw in another school of a different geo, but I dont want any hybrids. Will start with all fish in the 1-4 inch range. No worries adding tanks as needed for aggression. Any suggestions on some possible tankmates?

Am considering a breeding program of some cichlids also but I may be crazy as the market will probably saturate quickly. I dont need a job, just for fun on the breeding. Ive got a pair on synspilum currently (in another tank.)

Stepnik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2016
If you want to breed, Geo's are a good place to start as they are like Convicts when it comes to difficulty. Starting with 6 youre bound to have 2 pair off.
I've never homed 2 different type of Geo's so I don't know if they would cross breed, but my instinct tells me yes.
If youre looking for a less aggressive cichlid you could look into a school of Kribensis'. Those are small but fast, and color up quickly.
Viejas are pretty aggressive towards other Viejas(someone correct me if I'm wrong as I have never owned them) But I have heard of a single v. synspilla in a community tank.
I've never owned Severums so I can't comment, but they are beautiful.

Reactions: butchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store